Should New labels only sell their tunes in Digital Format ???

No No No! Plz No! Wot would us vinyl junkies do? i dont doubt that one day this will happen tho, (best invest in sum cdj1000s then)!

I baiting on. It's definately an option for new labels because of it's cost effectiveness but then again it'll lower the treshold to jsut simply download the tune from soulseek and play it. There are peeps who still have the morale not to play warezed tracks but as mp3 selling becomes more and more usual this will become a problem.

But i don't think it's a threat to vinyl culture in any way. It survived the cd "revolution" so it will stay as long as there are dj's.

Vinyl is a horrible addiction and costs a good arm and a leg. But theres no feel like it. cd's can F*** off for all I care. Only play the latest dubs on em coz theyre not released yet

true dj? fuk, with the new cdj´s or stuff like serato and final scratch its just the same when it comes to spinning, as for collecting it´s vinyl all the way. i buy shitloads of mp3 and vinyl (actually ruining myself, too much goodies out there)

true dj? fuk, with the new cdj´s or stuff like serato and final scratch its just the same when it comes to spinning, as for collecting it´s vinyl all the way. i buy shitloads of mp3 and vinyl (actually ruining myself, too much goodies out there)

It may be the same, Vinyl is just Classic. Always been around always will. But i have no problem with Cds, and I know what you mean when it come to buying Mp3s, I am addicted to it!

I am all in favour of vinyl..having over 3000 of teh bastards stashed away ..and counting. However, I recognise that perhaps if I was to start a new label, I could in fact get some sort of advantage by not using vinyl, because I may sell less, but it costs not much at all !!

THis is what I am pondering on...

I don't really understand your question Stedfast? Why should labels restricts their sales to digital?

Personally I think they should supply music in all 3 formats, vinyl, cd and mp3 - but ensure the top quality of all 3.

I don't think that dubs should appear only on vinyl - if dubs have a place in the dnb world at all. I'd gladly pay 5 quid for quality dub.

Piracy is not a valid concern - all dubs sold to the public (and not only them) get ripped to vinyl, its easier for me to get mp3s of tracks I want from Soulseek, not Beatport but I don't.

I buy the tracks on vinyl or mp3. Except vinyl means a long wait.

I am all in favour of vinyl..having over 3000 of teh bastards stashed away ..and counting. However, I recognise that perhaps if I was to start a new label, I could in fact get some sort of advantage by not using vinyl, because I may sell less, but it costs not much at all !!

THis is what I am pondering on...

You won't have any upfront distribution costs for sure.

You may want to press vinyl to give to djs but I doubt Andy C will be dropping your dubs even if you send them to him.

I'd put the tracks on digital first to see if they sell at all. If you get requests, use the income from digital for vinyl. Unless you've got a couple of thousand quid to invest in your label and lose...

I don't think that dubs should appear only on vinyl - if dubs have a place in the dnb world at all. I'd gladly pay 5 quid for quality dub.

buying dubs? what do you mean? dubs i get either from the label or the artists themselves, and i never use slsk. used to but ive been getting all moral over the years, need to pay the artists for their work..

It may be the same, Vinyl is just Classic. Always been around always will. But i have no problem with Cds, and I know what you mean when it come to buying Mp3s, I am addicted to it!

Big up mate!

I've got a mortgage, a fiancee & a kid on the way. If I have to choose between spending 5 quid on vinyl or 99p on a mp3 that will sound the same on the club gear I play on (hardly the Valve Soundsystem), I buy the mp3. I don't nick music on the net.

That said, I was playing a gig recently and the dj before me asked whose the cd players were. When I said mine, he looked :monkey: at me. After an hour of caning it, I switched to ragga jungle dubs and picture plate jump up. :finger2:

buying dubs? what do you mean? dubs i get either from the label or the artists themselves, and i never use slsk. used to but ive been getting all moral over the years, need to pay the artists for their work..

Buying dubs I mean the tracks you can buy from the labels at a massive premium prior to their official release.

You won't have any upfront distribution costs for sure.

You may want to press vinyl to give to djs but I doubt Andy C will be dropping your dubs even if you send them to him.

I'd put the tracks on digital first to see if they sell at all. If you get requests, use the income from digital for vinyl. Unless you've got a couple of thousand quid to invest in your label and lose...

THis would seem like sound advice mate. See I am not just stirring the pot peoples...I really am trying to be objective...I actually prefer well made vinyl :bruce:

mmmm, I see ... hairy muff
No cos if I was stirring the pot I'd have started a thread like "is Pendulum a thing of the past"
I really am thinking about starting a label, and I think where a new label struggles, is that it has not built up a name for itself. SO it either
Pays through teh nose for a name producer, and has to keep doing so until teh other artists are well enough established....( and you won't get their best tracks)...OR
Make a loss beacuse you don't sell enough, unless you are lucky are your stuff gets played on plate by a big name....of course COSH if ya was looking for an argument, I suggest you take it to the waffle section :twitch:

No cos if I was stirring the pot I'd have started a thread like "is Pendulum a thing of the past"
I really am thinking about starting a label, and I think where a new label struggles, is that it has not built up a name for itself. SO it either
Pays through teh nose for a name producer, and has to keep doing so until teh other artists are well enough established....( and you won't get their best tracks)...OR
Make a loss beacuse you don't sell enough, unless you are lucky are your stuff gets played on plate by a big name....of course COSH if ya was looking for an argument, I suggest you take it to the waffle section :twitch:

No, i said hairy muff as in fair enuff. But arguements are always good, I suggest icon fight??

Back
Top Bottom