should i sell up??

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by hyperd4eva, Apr 27, 2015.

1. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

Been finding myself getting more and more lazy when it comes to mixing/..i used to be on it, recording mixes every month/playing radio shows.. practice was number one on my list.

To put it into perspective I haven't even mixed since January which was my last gig!

starting to think maybe i should sell up the technics and vinyl!? not sure if its just a stage that im going through. at the moment seems like a lot of room taken up in my already small flat for something im not using!

Even gigs are a struggle these days as everyone expects you to be able to use usb or cd's and very few promoters even take turntables into consideration anymore. (last gig a few weeks back cancelled me as other dj's wanted 6 cdj's) -- fucking ridiculous i know, couldnt play as there was no room for technics..

is it time to sell up? i know i will hate to part with them but if they not being used or helping me get where i want to be is it worth staying on the turntables or try something new?

i need inspiration!

2. iamdjsimm

iamdjsimm Well-Known Member

To give you my view on it (as I've gone full circle so many times)....

I kept a 1210 for ripping vinyl only bits but sold (and I'm still selling vinyl) my other deck, mixer etc back in 07/08. Moved to cd's for a while, then to traktor scratch with cd's and then back in 2010 moved to an s4.

I still regularly buy mp3's and I'm pretty much up to date with what I want to buy, but doing it a lot cheaper than vinyl.

Last mix I did of new music was in December and the last D&B gig I had was nearly 12 months ago.

I think the same way as you sometimes but then I look at it like this: New MP3's aren't costing me a fortune and I may not be as active as I was but it's all there and it's all paid for (or all being paid for at a low rate in terms of 79p a tune).

Switch to digital and treat it as a hobby and you can continue to buy and play music without having to worry too much.

hyperd4eva likes this.
  3. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

Keep them mate. Trust.
    I'm lucky if i get time to mix these days but i'd never sell my set up.
    They'll come a time when all you want to do is have a rinse out. How can you if you don't have decks.
    I had to sell a lot of vinyl for reasons I wont get into and I regret that.

I go through stages of wanting to mix. Since going digital I don't get the same urge to mix like i used to.. "oh X is out on vinyl.. meh, i'll download it later" then its forgotten about. I need the vinyl addiction to fuel my desire to mix.

My advice.... go buy some new tunes. Or treat yourself to that one tune you always wanted but was too much money on Discogs.

hyperd4eva likes this.
  4. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

This.

5. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

another though was to put into storage and keep them. but i got no storage! Its sucha catch 22!

sell = more space, money for cdj's.
    sell = miss them forever, want them back. loose all that time and money spent buying records.

storage = such a shame they wont be getting used! in a way i would rather them go to a good home to help someone learn the craft.

6. D-fine

D-fine Active Member

DO NOT SELL YOUR DECKS!!!

Been at that same place as you man. Around 2002 I'd lost my love for dnb so sold decks but kept all my vinyl(luckily)

It wasn't until 2008/09 time the music started getting better(imo) and the fire restarted.

I got new 1200's that cost me a packet compared to what I payed back in 1995.

I'd suggest going though all your vinyl and selling what you really don't want anymore. Not only will it line your pocket
    But will also free a little space up. That's what I've done and it worked good for me.

I'd also echoing what Teddy said to buy some vinyl you've always wanted.

7. Jawz

Jawz New Member

Difficult. Been grappling with this one for a while.

I still have my decks, and, in fact, just purchased a Traktor setup, as all of my purchases the last few years have been mp3. For various life reasons (family, work, etc.), I can't use them that much. I have some vision of the future where I'll have more time and set them up in an ideal space to use them. But then, that's not really your situation.

The experience I've had for the better part of the last decade is not playing out, not buying vinyl, and basically maintaining this giant collection of stuff for some future point where I'll enjoy it. Moving has sucked. Finding a place for it is often a pain. It's been nice to have, but at what cost of maintenance, physical and mental?

This would be my advice: if your main goal is play music for other people, buy and maintain what you need to do that the best. At this moment, that's clearly digital, from tools to the cost of buying and handling music. If your main goal is to enjoy music, then buy and/or maintain what you need to do that. Mp3s are great, but if you buy them only for them to die in a multi TB harddrive, randomly appearing in your shuffled playlist, then it might be more cost effective to buy less music in a format that you will enjoy more. It's really about what experience you want to have with the music.

iamdjsimm likes this.
  8. Dagz

Dagz Well-Known Member

People act like I wasn't a vinyl junkie but I was.

I've had my decks stored away for years now. Something just wont let me sell them even though im a fan of the digital age now. Going digital is absolutely the way forward in this day and age I feel. I am about to make my next step and get a midi controller and im alil excited if im honest.

If anyone's got any pointers for me about midi controllers please feel free to share

iamdjsimm likes this.
  9. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

I rarely mix anymore and my mixing is pretty shit now but even though I'm close to becoming homeless, I could never sell them

10. iamdjsimm

iamdjsimm Well-Known Member

I'm bias towards Traktor but I've had my S4 since release day and still love it! I'd get an s2 if I could but there aren't any inputs for my 1210 on there I believe.

11. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

its a hard decision. Moved onto traktor last year and still never used it out properly. tried it once and couldnt play due to RCA issues. tried it second time and used someone elses laptop and it was jumpy as fuck!

12. jungle_fever

jungle_fever Well-Known Member

Ive seen too many people sell up and regret it for years to come. a vinyl collection and turntables represents hours and hours of going through records in record shops, dodgy set ups at house parties, scouring online trying to find that release you've always been after, lugging record bags about to have a mix with friends. Although you may not be mixing at the moment, you will have many more hours of enjoyment in years to come. Everyone has periods where they have other things to focus on.

Its weird, i reckon i have an individual feeling attached to every record i own. a kind of nostalgic feeling reminding you of a time or place, like a little memory marker. For example i remember vividly that day i received that copy of technicolour komatic and LSB - rotary motion that you traded with me. that record will always remind me of that time. if i got rid of it, it would almost be like getting rid of that memory, which im sure is almost how you felt when you sent it with me.

my advice; keep the turntables and mixer (or maybe downsize the mixer if it is a big DJM900 or something), keep all the vinyls that you are sentimental about, and create a box or a pile for vinyls you want to sell

hyperd4eva likes this.
  13. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

I try and think of it this way.

If you were bringing back a women to your house would you show them your MP3 collection? Of course you wouldn't, but you'd show them your beloved records that have a story with each individual one.

Secondly. When or if you have children or even grandchildren, I'd love to be able to share a little bit of what I loved when I was a kid, reminisce etc. records and turntables are something I wouldn't ever shift as it's been a prominent part of my life.

But whatever decision you make never regret it

hyperd4eva likes this.
  14. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

^^ very good way of looking at it bro, never really thought about it that way.

15. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

A simple latency adjustment should solve that issue.

16. Jawz

Jawz New Member

Pro Tip: never bring a woman back to your place and show her ANYTHING that ends with "collection."

I think it's romantic to think that your soul mate or your family will appreciate your records, but more often than not, it's just a bunch of stuff that nobody values nearly as much as you do. And when space becomes an issue, like if you need to have a crib all of a sudden, the collection becomes a burden for other people in the house.

That's not to say you should get rid of your stuff, but there's a lot to be said for evaluating why really want it and what of the stuff is really important to you and worth keeping. As I mentioned, I'm definitely a fan of keeping some records. Maybe give yourself a limit like a couple of crates. But don't keep stuff just because you feel like you need to keep it, you're going to make a mint on them in thirty years, or your going to impress people with your stuff. Keep it because you love it and want to keep enjoying it on some level.

17. Sicx

Sicx Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this.
    Im at a stage where I've been buying a hell of alot more vinyl than I did a year ago, but i've been really picky about what I get, its got to be a pretty special track for me to want to bag it on vinyl.
    If I was in your situation and you desperately needed cash/space, go through your collection and pick out the pieces that mean alot, tracks that don't get boring over time, classics, and ones that have that special meaning only to you. Maybe put just one turntable (and the mixer?) into storage or, worst case scenario, sell it. But deffo keep the other one, just for playing the tunes you kept and, maybe in the future when you decide you want to get back into it, you wont have to splash out like 800 quid for two turntables when you already have one.
    But like Agent Smith says, in 30 years time you wont open up an old laptop and tell you grandkids to listen to this banging 320, you'll want to find the record box full of tunes you kept because the artwork was quality and the tracks were even better

Agent Smith likes this.
  18. Vanden

Vanden -nieuwenhuysen

What and bore the shit out of her?

moliver777 and DeeGun like this.
  19. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

20. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

iv seen so many people have children and literally have to give all there shit away. if you got a 3 bed house which is big its doable. if you have a small flat its not so easy. they take up a massive amount of room compared to a controller or a couple of cdj's.

Jawz likes this.