SHould I really cut the sub at 35hz ??

Radius

Full Spectrum Selection
VIP Junglist
people keep saying 'cut the sub at 35khz' but the frequency response of vinyl and the human ear goes to 20hrz...so...should I cut it at 20hz where below this
a)this is inaudible except to other spices than us chimps
b) will blow speakers rattle internal organs and was considered as a weapon by various governments.
So I guess the Q is; is it industry standard to cut off at 35hz....
Such an easy q, but u know rules to b broken etc...?:respekt:

Leave it to the mastering engineer.
There's stuff that you feel but don't hear and the engineer will know best.

My tunes sound better since I stopped doing that.

Sound advice ( no pun intended ) , and also answers the next q which was if I have monitors that go to 35 hz do I need a woofer...guess I do then
FOund it useful to compare spectral analysis of released tracks to my mixdowns to see where I need to boost it, but there really is no way of getting around having a track mastered. I supose it is learning when to do that....
:lighter:

It's confusing as you'll always be comparing your tune to mastered tracks, but main thing is trying to get the EQ right and leaving the maximisation to the engineers.

If the mix sounds good then they'll be able to get it nice and loud. If they can't it's probably a problem with EQing.

logikz said:
what about the high high end? cut or not?

I don't bother with that either.
When you get he chance to check a master against an original it kinda sounds like there's as much high end, but if you see it an an analyser there's less tops.

I heard it has to do with harmonics but i'm not an expert on this yet so I can't comment.

I don't know exactly how it's done but it's always kinda based on what the original sounds like. You don't want to be lacking bass and tops if you want to get it put on a dubplate so as long as you don't overload the subs and tops you'll be alright.

This is where a good set of monitors comes in, crank it loud and eliminate bits that hurt your ears and as long as there's nothing like that in the top end you'll be fine.

I agree with Bad ace BUT.....

Using an analyser has helped me a lot, when I hear something unpleasant I can have a look and see exactly what it is. I aim to never have to use one and I'm using it less and less. It's good for training your ears though I have to say!

OK so last thing I have to ask is this; if your gonna rinse a track before its mastered, would ya still keep the it all there ?
As for harmonics, read book on sound engineering, but I ain't physics lover. It gets pretty stinkin all that cancelling waves and harmonics...its a bit similar to radio waves so I am told....he he

Stan Phase said:
OK so last thing I have to ask is this; if your gonna rinse a track before its mastered, would ya still keep the it all there ?
As for harmonics, read book on sound engineering, but I ain't physics lover. It gets pretty stinkin all that cancelling waves and harmonics...its a bit similar to radio waves so I am told....he he

yeah I do cos sometimes it's all about what you feel and not what you hear.

as long as the top end doesn't hurt your ears and the bass isn't too loud you'll be fine.

i think im going to throw all this off..

but ive been working with some people who have been releasing tunes on "bigger" labels and i was told this:

for sub.. cut it at about 10hz low end, then top end 200hz

saves a lot of headroom, but yeah i guess you could do this in the mastering process as well.. i use cubase so i just cut the frequencies in the eq on the track channel's mixer. my tunes have actually improved in quality since i started doing this. it helps you hear the kicks in the drums better, the bass doesnt sink when it pops in cause its not colliding with other frequencies.. hmm.. i dunno

just my .02 :) do whatcha will!

peace

Back
Top Bottom