Should I get Reason 4?

Discussion in 'Production' started by 3xit, Sep 16, 2009.

1. 3xit

3xit Member

I'm really sorry about this, bringing up the which DAW is best question...

Basically i want to make a sort of underground influenced pop music...*gasp*.... blasphemy!:knob:

Do you think reason and record together is the best option... I quite like the idea of a self contained environment where there aren't a hundred million VSTs to distract you.... How ever if you guys think Sonar, Ableton, Cubase etc come with better instruments/ sound design software please tell....

Basically usability is not that much of an issue, i managed to make a few beats in Renoise, and i just want the best selection instruments i can get ...

Thanks

2. opcode11011

opcode11011 New Member

Vsts don't distract, unless you let them.
    If you have a clear goal in mind you know already what sounds you want and know which vst's work for you.

Sure reason is capable, not sure on record as I haven't used it myself.

In my personal opinion Ableton stands out among most daws simply because of it's innovative use of the clip system and being able to improvise 'on the fly', turning ideas into sequences.

I never found the sequencer in Reason particularly inspiring myself, but rewired, the synths and other rack inserts are great, especially love Thor.

So in summary (sorry for the wall of text) try the ableton live demo and understand how clips work, think you might be surprised at just how easy it is to try different ideas and turn them into something fresh.

3. 3xit

3xit Member

cheers for the quick reply, its just i got slightly put off by the fact that you have to buy all the instruments such as sampler and operator separately... and i already tried the demo... they won't let me use it any more : (

4. motion audio

motion audio Active Member

The benefit of this is that you get better quality samplers etc

5. 3xit

3xit Member

fair enough...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  6. opcode11011

opcode11011 New Member

You don't HAVE to get those addons, they help a lot but remember you will have a DAW that can handle vst/vsti so you are literally swamped by free options when it comes to alternatives.

KVR Audio is a good site to see good free alternatives.

Anyway good luck DAW hunting :)

7. luzil

luzil Member

i agree with opcode about ableton. use the board search, diff. DAW were discussed here latley.

u can test ableton further, if u install windows second time, say on a second HDD or partition, u can delete it on and on to get further trial days.

Another point is, dont buy a DAW cause of its instruments, buy cause u like the workflow. Some DAW work better together with some MIDI controllers. And to be compatible with it u need updates, so cracks r no good solution. Try to purchase for r money a controller and DAW. It really makes much more fun when ur stuff works together. And DAW like ableton have higher pc requirements than Reason, so look what hardware specs u have

U can still rewire Reason if u get bored by it, it has nice refills and is for beginners/price pretty good choice.

PS whats underground popular music :D sounds like contradiction in terms

8. 3xit

3xit Member

pretty much dnb with akon singin over the top : p

nah i really have no idea but i like to try new things!

9. Delinquent

Delinquent Member

I started with FL but I actually didn't like it. It seemed too childish.

I went on to using Ableton and learned it in a few hours (the basics). It's one of those "hours to learn, years to master" things.

I got massive at the same time for all my synth needs and I mostly record my own drums so...

I don't know what underground pop is so I can't help you!

10. sook

sook Member

no...

11. dj_bmc

dj_bmc Member

Depends how experienced you are. If you've never made music before and have nothing on ur comp, then Reason is good, for learning AND because it comes with a fair amount of sounds, it's easy to set up and is one of the most stable sequencers out there.

Having said that it doesn't work well with audio, and you'll need a seperate program. According to Computer Music, whilst Record was highly rated, their review gave me the impression that it wasn't comprehensive enough to be considered the "go to" solution for Reason users looking looking to expand their audio capabilities. I think they suggested Cubase, Ableton, Logic etc.... with Reason rewired would still be a better option.

So yeah, i think u need to look at ur own eperience and how deep your pocket is.

12. 3xit

3xit Member

underground pop.... chase & status beat me to it... fuck lols : )

13. vickvega

vickvega Mr. Blonde