Should I buy sausage fattener?

Yeah definitely, its well worth it for the £20 or so it is.

One thing about it though is that it limits the shit out of the sound when you apply it, but if you dont want the limiting and just want the saturation, then you can put an eq after it in the fx chain and it removes the limiting (y)

Was great at first, hardly use it on anything anymore. EQ + Soundgoodizer does the job pretty well add a camelphat and/or PSP Vintage warmer to the mix and you're laughing! :2thumbs:
Bearing in mind my entire music making budget spent so far is about £200, that might be a bit expensive.

Oh man, Sausage Fattener and Soundgoodizer....where do I begin on this subject?!

In my honest opinion I think they are completely over rated, and a quick fix to make something "Sound" bigger. But in reality I believe they can mask underlying issues within a mix, causing problems later on. I used to always want to use something like these back when I was 1st starting out, because I wanted that immediate Awesomeness to my tracks! But over time I've found I can get a bigger cleaner sound by use of careful EQ and level monitoring, and then get the fullness I desire with parallel compression and some subtle multiband dynamics at the end of the mixdown process.

Each to their own I guess, but in all honesty, I wouldn't use Sausage Fattener if it was given to me for free.

Oh man, Sausage Fattener and Soundgoodizer....where do I begin on this subject?!

In my honest opinion I think they are completely over rated, and a quick fix to make something "Sound" bigger. But in reality I believe they can mask underlying issues within a mix, causing problems later on. I used to always want to use something like these back when I was 1st starting out, because I wanted that immediate Awesomeness to my tracks! But over time I've found I can get a bigger cleaner sound by use of careful EQ and level monitoring, and then get the fullness I desire with parallel compression and some subtle multiband dynamics at the end of the mixdown process.

Each to their own I guess, but in all honesty, I wouldn't use Sausage Fattener if it was given to me for free.

Totally agree with this. The order/technique i mentioned is for driving a bassline so hard that it creates its own distortion and when controlled correctly you can get some pretty sick results but as mentioned, if you fuck this up it will ruin your mixdown stage when you come to it.

I've only JUST been learning about dynamics and I mean, getting things sounding great requires exactly what Fetch is talking about, careful EQ'ing and layering to create the sounds/layers you want in your element. Be it bass drums or atmos. When you go to master your track at the end stage you will yield much better results than when you overly used sausage fattners and soundgoodizers on elements in the tune.
Just have a look for yourself, if you have a spectrum analyser, the difference between having either of them on or off. Spend time making exports of each and get to grips with what you're doing to your overall sound.
I spent days on a simple 16bar loop just doing different mixdown techniques.... it helps get to grips with your equipment too.

Cpmpletely agree with this. I've always though of sausage fattener as a lazy plugin, like soundgoodizer. There plugins bought/used by people that give instant results with no knowledge or experience needed. What you end up with is basically a saturated and compressed sound that isnt tailored to your needs and isnt necessarily beneficial to the track or your own learning experience.
IMO it's for people who dont want to learn things and excel, and take shortcuts. Your losing the valuable experience of EQing, compressing and saturating things yourself to learn your own techniques and your own way to do things.

oVBZR7o.png

ive seen a few good producers using it on videos. Spy being one of them. I think camelphat is instaresult (especially the randomize button) style as well, but everyone uses it. With any plug in, it's how you use it that will make it worth buying or not. Sausage fattner if used very subtley can be really good. I personally think for the price its worth it.

I was expecting a fair few antis.
I'm not just planning on slapping it on my master and dialing up the phatness, or abandoning compression and eq all together, yknow.
Music making should be fun and creative, spending hours fiddling with my compressor, eq, limiter, distortion etc just to generate loudness isn't very enjoyable or creative: I'd much rather spend that time designing sounds, beats, recording etc.
If I can get nice sounding results using sausage fattener, then I'm using it.

I did some tests on this before and found it to be waste of time unless you kained it. If you dial the level knob back as you bring up the drive it just sounds the same. Personally I wouldn't bother, use that £20 to get high and spend an afternoon making basses and resampling :)

Yeah definitely, its well worth it for the £20 or so it is.

One thing about it though is that it limits the shit out of the sound when you apply it, but if you dont want the limiting and just want the saturation, then you can put an eq after it in the fx chain and it removes the limiting (y)
eq post sausage fattener will not change any limiting the plugin may be doing.
I actually like this plugin but only on drums and only used semi lightly, always with a pre eq to bring out and remove certain frequencies within the break.

Last edited:
If you can get a few good sounds out of it then it's worth having. Just don't expect it to solve everything.

I might get it at some point. I had a play around with it at a mates and it sounds pretty good.
I rarely push plug ins to their limit. I usually use overdrive subtly, eq, maybe overdrive some more, eq, clip distortion, eq and so on. Although sometimes I will have a really distorted setting on an aux and blend it with the original.
I really need to get back into production. I miss it. I feel empty since I've started working where I work.

Back
Top Bottom