DnB SHODAN

Z-1

Hi guys!

I've had this track sitting around for a while, along with a number of others. Any mix advice? Should this thing be finished? Ha, I want it to be finished, but compared to more recent stuff I've made I feel like it doesn't sound as good. What do you guys do when/if you've hit this wall. Is it healthier to just move on or to go back and re-edit?

Kind of new to this forum. Really into sci-fi and sound design. I love music and am trying to figure out how to make some drum and bass, I have been into it since I first heard Noisia and Phace's "Program" on youtube about a year and a half ago.

The dialogue sample is from the villain in System Shock. In case anyone is wondering.

Thanks for listening/and or any feedback you can give.

Last edited:
I cannot give much much mixdown advice as I am learning myself but I am a fan of that really fizzy synth. I am not sure if it just me but I am finding it hard to find the groove of the track, some bits feel a bit out of time. However I don't really listen to this type of dnb so my opinion may be technically incorrect.

Hey thanks for the feedback anb. Not sure which synth you're referring to as fizzy. Rhythm wise there are a lot of dotted rhythms in this track, maybe that's what is affecting the groove (I personally like it, but have lost all objectivity a long time ago, heheh)

Hi man, in reply to your question of when you have hit the brick wall... Well I usually just start another project haha. Rather than finishing tunes I have put more focus on getting my engineering and mixdown good whilst experimenting with synths etc. One thing I have noticed is that everytime I hit the wall and go on to start another project, when I look back to previous ones I can really see how wrong I was going from trying to go in and constantly tweak/re edit things. In contrast I see how much better my production has become in new projects. That is just me though.

As soon as I saw 'Shodan' I thought of the System Shock series - great sample! I can't offer much production advice as I'm still learning but I thoroughly enjoyed the track. Only thing I'd say is you could clip it down slightly in terms of length (average Noisia tunes clock in around 5:00-5:30).

Sorry about that JAGZ; I think it should work now. I didn't realize I had put it to private again. Thanks for the feedback filtronstacks, glad you enjoyed it! :)

Nice and glitchy :) I find that as long as the structure and idea of a track is sound its always worth going back and working on older tunes, a good idea is always a god idea. Its hard work and you end up having to get a bit surgical but it always pays of. I think with a bit of livening up and little breaks this would be a very nice track :)

Hi Z-1, thanks for sorting out the link.

The track as a whole has some very cool ideas and sounds.

In my opinion, the only thing that could enhance the track would be thickening up the drums....sounds like there is room in the mix for them to given a bit more punch.

All the best!

Back
Top Bottom