Shock Ads - Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Mulla, Jan 17, 2005.

?

Shock Ads - Good or Bad?

1. Good

62.5%
  2. Bad

25.0%
  3. Dont Know/Not Seen Them

12.5%
  1. Mulla

Mulla Digital Future

Been talking about this at work this morning, and Ive just seen a similar thread on DNBA....

What are your opinions on these shock-based adverts that are becoming more and more common?

Im talkin about adverts like the new speed limit one (where you see the girl die in reverse) or the fire alarm one (where the bloke forgets to change the batteries, and you see him parked up outside the burnt out house mourning his family)

IMO These adverts can only be a good thing if they get people to take note of important things. Ok, so they might not be very pleasant and can be quite graphic, but if it gets the point across then its done its job I reckon.

What are your thoughts?

2. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Agreed, they are what's needed! Not always the nicest thing to watch during the ad break of Coronation Street :teeth: But it makes you take notice and remember the damage caused by ignoring them.

Oddly enough, my Dad was testing the fire alarms yesterday, I can only assume that's why!

I guess they need to make one for being tired while driving so I take notice, or more of my friends should learn to drive (Triple M) or buy a car with more than two seats (M-Code), grrrr! :mad: :teeth:

3. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

BTW Mulla, I deleted your other thread without the Poll :)

4. Mulla

Mulla Digital Future

Doh! Cheers man, hadnt realised that had posted!

5. Mulla

Mulla Digital Future

Made me test mine too!!!!

LOL!!!

6. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

they are good...they are needed!

however i do find the one where the guy runs over the girl in the pub withn his table really funny......dunno why!

sick ...i know!

it should be an advert for aftershave or Lynx or summin....

:bruce: --" if you want girls throwing themselves at you so hard that they die, buy Lynx Java!"

7. mesh

mesh Active Member

They're good in a way I guess, have been running them for years here, mostly aimed at drink-driving and speeding goons.
    One thing I've noticed is that people become desensitised very quickly, or they switch off mentally, or they just take the piss out of the ad. I agree they can trigger change in the short term (eg. checking your alarm batteries) which is great, but how far does it have to go when even these ads become so commonplace they are standard?

overall I can see why they are on TV, and if it helps thats good. I just wonder how graphic these ads will be in 15 years when we are all 'shocked out'. oh well :drunk:

8. sparkyc10

sparkyc10 Kentish Junglist

we had a discussion about this in media studies last year. i dont think theyre that great. you don't necessarily want to see stuff like that when ur casually watchin telly with ur sunday roast on ur lap. some of the stuff is quite upsetting (my girlfriend crys at some of em bless her!). fair enough about the argument saying if it gets the message across then its ok, but surely there must be another way of doin it just as good? sayin that, im not exactly burstin with ideas so theyre ok for the time being

9. Mulla

Mulla Digital Future

How do people feel about the anti-smoking ones?

These ones are particularly relevant to me as I cain the funk HEAVILY, so I always feel quite uncomfortable seeing them.

The one where they were squeezing the fat out of the veins was quite nasty, but it didnt really put me off cos theres about a thousand things that can block your arteries up like that, not just smoking. The most effective ones imo are the ads where they show people who are permanently connected to oxygen machines, and who have had lungs removed and shit. Never fail to dark me out!!!

10. rmt

rmt sex for money plz?

well to be honest the effect they have on some people is worth it for the effects they have, if we think about it the amount of people that the adverts can potentially save in relation to the amount of people that cry (biggup sparkyc10's gf, mine cries too!) or are effected emotionally - the adverts always make me think twice about driving fast, about drink driving, when i was a bit younger i was like "i'll have a few beers" but after adverts like this, and seeing one of my best mates flip his car and break both his arms after having a few beers, makes me realise how stupid it is - the adverts just back up a well known point not to drink, of course most people think "i won't drink much" or "i'll have just a pint" i personally, and i think the adverts say don't drink anything - because you just don't want that shit!

11. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

yeah man fo real. ive been thinking about givin up 'the funk' for health reasons, ive been out jogging recently and it feels good to be getting fit.

the add with the gunk coming out tha veins is kinda silly tho cos eatin a maccy d's is gonna be worse! why dont they show that on telly. i would like to see more adds saying 'you are gonna die' aimed at none smokers! ha ha! If you eat too many salads without washing the veg properly you will die from pesticide poisoning! haha!

the problem about smoking is that everyone thinks'it wont be me' that dies' but it will! when you find out its too late, they dont have a cure for lung cancer and having had cacer myself you really dont want it! its kinda a downer on your plans for life!

12. rmt

rmt sex for money plz?

It won't necessarily be you though, some people live for a long time after smoking - however it still could be. i Smoked for like, 3 weeks then before i got addicted realised that i was about to do something that i would most likely end up regretting in the future, so i stopped, it wasn't hard, because i wasn't addicted. Although, when i get drunk i still get a craving, it shows how bad it is, and how hard it is for people to give up, because after 3 weeks i have this, imagine what its like for people who've had 5 years worth.

13. 1992

1992 Novantadue

TV ads should be outlawed.

14. rmt

rmt sex for money plz?

Nah, they break up programmes, let you go get pizza n shiz

15. mesh

mesh Active Member

:lol:

:rofl:

but serious Lokki, you've had cancer ? thats heavy, so maybe you are in a better position to know how effective the ads are cos you've lived it.