Share Your Gem's Thread

Stubsnz

Boshing Out on the tables
I think that everyone who really loves music has tunes that they would consider a true hidden gem. A tune that may have been stumbled upon purely by accident, usually after a long time spent crate digging(or web mining) and it connects with you in a way that most other tunes do not. Usually the tune is not very well known, it may have been released on some obscure label that disappeared after 10 releases, it may have less than 10,000 hits on youtube, it may not even be on the internet. Obviously there are great tunes that are well known,(i.e pretty much everything released by Calibre/Break/etc) but if it's a tune that hardly anyone has heard or is playing in their sets I feel it becomes that much more special and personal.

As someone who loves music (Especially Drum & Bass) I would be very interested to hear some of these tunes that other people hold close and share some of mine. I am always down to hear new, subjectively amazing music

For me a gem can be one of those tunes that people hear, instantly fall in love with, ask for details of and is universally well received but just very unknown. Or it can be very personal, only being able to be fully appreciated because of your unique journey through the musical universe.

One of mine is a tune from the tail end of a Med School Compilation. Something that hit me hard the moment I heard it and connected with me very deeply.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the feeling man! Incredible ain't it?

For me, it would have to be this tune. Something about when I first stumbled upon it, had me feeling like it would be with me for the rest of my life :)

Couldn't resist putting this one up too, sends me on a journey through time and space every time I play it, not sure I've heard a tune quite like it since. Maximum is fucking amazing as well

not sure if dj's are going to let all their secret gems / weapons go just like that, but for me there are a few

this TwoThirds & BadApple - Sense Of Being tune used to give me the shivers when I was mixing it

Gridlok - Heatwave was one of those tunes I needed to hunt down the first time I heard it, obviously trying to find out the name etc first

the hook in 20/20 rmx is a stand out tune of all time. Simple but effective, and another that I needed to have in the stack

one of Hazard's best tunes IMO again needed to find out what it was and have it in the collection on the first listen

oh, and Tibetan Mist :D Haunting bass

Commix - Japanese Electronics (Instra:mental Remix)

First heard off the Autonomic Layer 6, took long enough to get an ID.
Longer still for it to be released.

Still miss the Autonomic sound... :(

Omni Trio - First Contact

My first exposure to DnB, and it's special for the same reason.
Heard while driving around in GTAIII. I had never heard such .. alien, for lack of a better word, music.

Great thread yeah. Especially on board with the idea of a piece of music that appeals to you because of your 'unique' musical journey, everyone's is indeed different.

I guess mine would be this.

Originally heard it in Garden State, a painfully indie flick I was obsessed with during my teenage years. Instantly grabbed me, killer drum patterns and a brilliant take on the 'Eastern' sound I find myself constantly craving.

Brilliant mash up of it and a Mos Def tune, would definitely recommend you give this a spin.

This one cause it just remembers me of the time when I found out about DnB

and this one remembers me of when i started to dig deeper

These are some brilliant, brilliant tunes. I had completely forgotten about that Omni Trio tune but god it takes me back. . .

I know what you mean when it comes to DJ's not wanting to share their tunes. I used to be a right dickhead hoarder even going as far as leaving my tracks unnamed on the cd's so that other DJ's couldn't ID the tunes. I changed my mind somewhere along the line and now I believe that it is a DJ's responsibility to share these sorts of tunes. DJ's really are the taste-makers. Imagine if DJ's hoarded [Insert Great DnB Artist Here] tunes when they first started out, not letting others know who was behind these amazing tunes. The artists may not have received the recognition they deserved and fallen into obscurity.

Anyway back on topic, this isn't a tune that I don't really consider a true Gem but nevertheless whenever I play it out the D&B heads in the room always run up to the booth and ask for the ID. It is probably one of the tunes that helped to really develop my love for DnB but it wasn't the first. I must confess to not being a huge Tech-step head and the body feels kinda generic tech-step to me but the intro is pure hype, always gets the place jumping and I have never really heard anyone else play it.

Great thread.

Here are a couple of tunes that ended up in my mixes at some point,
and not as "DJ Tools"...which says it all

Exorcist, Imprintz & Kloé - Vision

Dephzac - Neo Arch

Alex Mind - Memory Of War

Great thread but...

1d0a6ed3b7c1ba6226ab7954d694ed541fe43649aaa36db307  17ef94bdc2937b.jpg

:teeth:

My gem is this little stomper from the Way Of The Samurai 2 LP. That drop is just UGH! :flashfap:

[video=youtube_share;1wOz-WaXwvs]http://youtu.be/1wOz-WaXwvs[/video]

4hero - Star Chasers (Photek Remix)

Can't believe its not on jewtube!!!

Pulled it out the loft after seeing it in calibres top 3 alltime remixes, forgot all about it...

So interesting listening to that track & hearing elements of the sound that calibre has clearly taken inspiration from in crafting his.

Had to record it & burn it to cd so I can listen to it in the car, perfect laid back cruising tune on a sunny day.

There's shit loads of older tunes & tracks from compilations that I still draw on now and again but this is the one I probably play the most.
First heard it on one of Doc Scott's future beats mixes in 2010 it must have been, was after an ID for months and I think it was actually Overlook who ID'ed it for me, I was actually lucky enough to be sent it a few months before release which was good, although only ever played it out once in that time...
Anyhow had a mix last night and played this, his reaction was priceless, the break is absolute gutter

found this on a counter strike video once and its become one of my favourite tracks

That Barefoot track is really nice!

Mine are:

I always go back to this track, and it made me fall in love with D&B when I was thinking of moving out of D&B.

Back
Top Bottom