Setting up speaker

Rubs90

KeyControl
VIP Junglist
Hey, i just got my 2 decks and some vinyl, excited ofc

but i keep hearing this "huuuuum" noise when I put my sound too high, and im pretty sure it's because Im using speakers meant for PC's

I've been told I should buy an amplifier, but I need a lot of info first, such as:

- Which speakers should I buy?
- What exactly does an amp do, and why is it so necessary?
- Which amp should I buy (maybe a pack with the speakers)?
- What's the main connection type between the speakers and the amp?

Thanks! :)

An ampifier amplifies (makes the signal bigger) the sound source.
This is then ready for the speakers to turn from voltage into sound.
My advice is to get a pair of active monitors mate.
These have the amplifier built into the speakers so you just plug them in and go.
I personally recomend KRK monitors.

Hey, i just got my 2 decks and some vinyl, excited ofc

but i keep hearing this "huuuuum" noise when I put my sound too high, and im pretty sure it's because Im using speakers meant for PC's

I've been told I should buy an amplifier, but I need a lot of info first, such as:

- Which speakers should I buy?
- What exactly does an amp do, and why is it so necessary?
- Which amp should I buy (maybe a pack with the speakers)?
- What's the main connection type between the speakers and the amp?

Thanks! :)

How loud when you get the huuuum? sounds like feedback to me. Are your speakers on the same surface and close to the turntables?

It sounds like an Earth problem to me. Are the earth cables for your decks attached to your mixer?

I had a setup that had a big speaker right next to one of my decks and I never had a problem with ground hum. You only really get this problem with big rigs in clubs. The resonates through the turntable and needle.

I'd check your ground wires on your decks and make sure they are attached to your mixer properly.

They should be fine if you are just mixing with them in a small room.

Last edited:
It sounds like an Earth problem to me. Are the earth cables for your decks attached to your mixer?

I had a setup that had a big speaker right next to one of my decks and I never had a problem with ground hum. You only really get this problem with big rigs in clubs. The resonates through the turntable and needle.

I'd check your ground wires on your decks and make sure they are attached to your mixer properly.

They should be fine if you are just mixing with them in a small room.

cant.. stop... looking... at... mila kunis

hottest chick alive

cant.. stop... looking... at... mila kunis

hottest chick alive

no

elisha_cuthbert.jpg

HER

I 2nd looking in to KRK monitors, they don't cost too much, what's your budget?

You don't really need a sub when you are just mixing/monitoring, in fact the flatter the sound the easier EQing and mixing will be.

Once you have your speakers go down to a DiY shop and get some cork floor tiles (or ikea do cork place matts for fuck all) and stick them underneath your speakers. Try and have your left and right speakers equally placed apart from your mixer and at about head level. If you do get a sub ideally you want it on the floor, preferably in a corner so it has lots to bounce off, but really I wouldn't bother as getting a package with a sub is gonna mean the quality of your speakers is less if you compared it to spending the same money on a sub-less package.

This might seem obvious but bear in mind with active speakers you'll need a power source for each on.

i always have a slight hum but it's unnoticable when i'm mixing, can you still hear the hum when your playing a record?

Back
Top Bottom