Setting up a soundcard w/ FL Studio an' ting..

ApeCat

Human Dubplate
VIP Junglist
So I've got a soundcard now, but I haven't a clue how to set up FL Studio to work with it, I never did anything like this before and only barely managed to get it to communicate with my PC at all.

So from what I gather I have to make the soundcard take care of all audio processing relieving my processor of having to do all the work while running FL. So what am I even supposed to do here?

It's an NI Komplete 6 if that helps..

Once you've got the audio interface setup, go to Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices and make sure your audio interface has been recognized and is set as the default device for both sound playback and recording.

If you don't see your device listed, you may need to download/install the most recent drivers for the interface.

If you do see the device, it's set as default as FL Studio still isn't recognizing it (or playing audio back through it) try opening iTunes or a Non DAW playback program to see if you're getting any sound at all.

This way we can narrow down what the likely source of the problem is.

Okay, I see the device, but what about buffer time and stuff? I heard you need to adjust those to get the most from your card, or doesn't all that really matter once you've got the card set as default?

EDIT: To narrow down what the problem is; there's no hard- or software issue, it's just me being a little daft when it comes to computers..

Last edited:
Okay, I see the device, but what about buffer time and stuff? I heard you need to adjust those to get the most from your card, or doesn't all that really matter once you've got the card set as default?

EDIT: To narrow down what the problem is; there's no hard- or software issue, it's just me being a little daft when it comes to computers..

The buffer works in relation with latency (in ms) and CPU usage. You'll want to adjust it so that your MIDI keys respond without delay when pressed and your CPU isn't struggling to perform tasks. Usually a setting of 256 should be sufficient, though some people can use 128 and others may require a higher number like 512. It's basically finding an equilibrium between performance accuracy and CPU cost.

Okay, so I messed with the audio settings and found a thing in the input/output drop down menu that simply said "Komplete 6" and there's no option to change the buffer length; it's set to "192smp (5ms)".The sample rate can be changed - though I have no idea what that means - but is set to "44100 hz" by default.

I'm experiencing strange clipping issues of late that I'm sure weren't there before I installed the Komplete 6. They come now and again, increasing in frequency if I twist knobs and adjust levels and interact with FL at all. Do I need new drivers or what? My dad said "Sometimes the Asio For All drivers actually work better" but I'm not quite sure what he means by it; if I change anything to Asio For All my soundcard goes mute and the noise comes through my laptop speakers.

Long story short: Help! I need an adult!

Yikes, sorry for all the issues your having.

Sample rate at 44.1 is fine for now. Our first goal is to get your card functioning properly, so we'll worry about sample rate settings later in.

Your dad is right in that the ASIO drivers can have better results. However, they're actually made for lower end sound cards, komplete shouldn't require them.

Are you familiar with BIOS? It's possible they we may need to disable your computer's internal sound card as it may be causing a conflict. If you aren't familiar with BIOS (or have not clue what it is) then your best bet will be to contact Native Instruments.

You can also give this a shot. As you can see, you're not alone dealing with this issue.

Not familiar with BIOS, think I've got to wait for my nerd brother to get back from Japan so he can sort this out.

Massive thanks, lost, really appreciate your help mate.

I must spread rep, man you are dedicated nice work boy
Thank you for the kind words sir!

Not familiar with BIOS, think I've got to wait for my nerd brother to get back from Japan so he can sort this out.

Massive thanks, lost, really appreciate your help mate.

You're quite welcome, hopefully your nerd brother will definitely be able to help you out so you can use your new toy to its fullest potential. :)

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom