Set-up Upgrades (for improving sound quality)

Olllie

Bom Bom Cloud
VIP Junglist
Currently using Stanton T80s, Numark dm3050 mixer and Stanton 500v3 carts.

Been noticing my recordings don't sound as crisp as i'd like, and just wondering what to replace first to provide the best sound quality upgrade?

Would I be right in thinking replacing the carts would make the biggest difference as mine are 2nd hand and god knows how old they are? I was thinking of getting some high end Shures.

I'm pretty sure I don't need to replace the turntables yet as I can beatmatch fine on them (although in the long term i'd like something more solid). Do the actual turntables make much of a difference?

I Just replaced some fairly low-end shures for some Ortotons and I'm pretty happy with the sound quality. The turntables, I don't know. What kind are they?

are u running thru a audio interface? get one of these if not,

BMR195400.jpg

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR195400

Yeah recording through an interface will probably help most, but changing the carts will also be a good upgrade.

Didn't think I needed an audio interface as my laptop has an internal soundcard but if it makes a difference i'll look into it when i'm buying new carts. Cheers for the help

Laptop soundcards are always poo, so that interface will probably help. Changing carts might help but you're really limited by your straight tonearms.

Yeah, carts, mixer and usb interface are the main 3 which will help i think. Cables are probably just a marketing ploy unless you have really poor quality ones. Mixer wise i have just got an allen n heath and recording quality has rocketed !

Back
Top Bottom