Set-Up Question?

DJ Spliff

Never Enuff Vinyl
VIP Junglist
I have my mixer plugged into an Onkyo revicer. Is this not a good choice becuase I can't put my master volume on my mixer very high or get my LEDs to light up to 0DB? My master volume on my mixer and reciver stay at 9 O' clock. Is the reciver just too powerful to have my mixer plugged into?

http://audioaffair.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=858

Ok so just turn the master volume down on the Onkyo surely? Firstly turn you Onkyo off, get your channels on the mixer to show around 0db, then with the master volume on the mixer on zero turn on your Onkyo and then get the levels set from there.

I'm sorry to sound harsh but how are you still having problems with your setup? If you have the volume on your receiver all the way down to 0 and its still too loud for you to be able to use your mixer properly then you must have the mixer out plugged into a phono port on your receiver or something..

Last edited:
http://audioaffair.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=858

Ok so just turn the master volume down on the Onkyo surely?

I'm sorry to sound harsh but how are you still having problems with your setup? If you have the volume on your receiver all the way down to 0 and its still too loud for you to be able to use your mixer properly then you must have the mixer out plugged into a phono port on your receiver or something..

I've tried turning the volume down on my receiver and there's just getting it to work. it sound like shit. I do have my mixer out plugged into a phono port. What should I have it plugged into?

I'm still having problems with my setup becuase the first thing I had my mixer plugged into was an amp that didn't work for me. So when I bought a reciever and found that my turntables worked with it, I just ran with it. But the more I learn the more I think that something is not set up right.

Ok this will make things a million times easier. Take a picture of the back of your mixer as it is now and just add some labels in MS Paint etc with what the cables goes to (i.e Deck 1/Deck 2/Amp), then do the same but with a picture of the back of your amp with the corresponding labels added and then we'll get it sorted once and for all!

Oh and the master phono cable from your mixer should be plugged into a Line IN port on the amp, not a Phono IN (y)

Ok this will make things a million times easier. Take a picture of the back of your mixer as it is now and just add some labels in MS Paint etc with what the cables goes to (i.e Deck 1/Deck 2/Amp), then do the same but with a picture of the back of your amp with the corresponding labels added and then we'll get it sorted once and for all!

Oh and the master phono cable from your mixer should be plugged into a Line IN port on the amp, not a Phono IN (y)

That's just the thing it's a reciver not an amp. I'm not sure if there is a line IN on it but i'll check. I bought an amp when I first got my turntables and I could only get audio from one turntable to work. It was years ago and i couldn't find anyone to help me out so when I bought a new reciever and it worked for me I just called it done. I'll see if I can't get back to you on the pictures. Thanks alot for your help so far though man.

See I have no idea what a receiver is sorry man. I'll have a read up and see whats what. In the mean time if you can up some photos that'll be handy. Use imageshack.us or something and make sure you resize them to like 640x800 or whatever (y)

1) A receiver is just an amp with a tuner built into it, and 5.1 outputs for home theater etc. You can use it as just an amp if you want to. I'm using a pioneer receiver for my setup just fine.

2) A DJ mixer's output is LINE LEVEL not phono level. Your DJ mixer has phono preamps in it. So you don't want to be plugging it into the receiver's phono input, because then it will be going through 2 phono preamps. Thats why its too loud and sound like crap.

I'll repeat: do not plug your mixer's main output into a phono input on your receiver, EVER

Plug it into a line in. On receivers these are usually called "DVD" or "TV/Sat" or "CD" etc (because its for a home theater system). I have my mixer plugged into "TV/SAT". It doesn't matter. Just don't plug it into a phono input.

Have fun mixing :)

1) A receiver is just an amp with a tuner built into it, and 5.1 outputs for home theater etc. You can use it as just an amp if you want to. I'm using a pioneer receiver for my setup just fine.

2) A DJ mixer's output is LINE LEVEL not phono level. Your DJ mixer has phono preamps in it. So you don't want to be plugging it into the receiver's phono input, because then it will be going through 2 phono preamps. Thats why its too loud and sound like crap.

I'll repeat: do not plug your mixer's main output into a phono input on your receiver, EVER

Plug it into a line in. On receivers these are usually called "DVD" or "TV/Sat" or "CD" etc (because its for a home theater system). I have my mixer plugged into "TV/SAT". It doesn't matter. Just don't plug it into a phono input.

Have fun mixing :)

Yeah, Russla-DJ said just that so I tried a different input and got it all sorted. Actually using the one labeled Video. When I was tryng to get my set-up, set-up the only people I could ask for help were Circuit City & Radio Shack. The people at Radio Shack didn't know shit and the people at Circuit city TOLD me to use the Phono Input!! Now I think I'll be bugging you guys for technical questions.

^
I've seen her before
somewhere!! Is she not gorgeous?!?!

Last edited:
I do have my mixer out plugged into a phono port.
shipment-of-fail.jpg

Guess these guys got it sorted. (The reason you never plug anything into a phono - unless it is a record player is the phone has a preamp - to boost the signal. Try plugging a turntable into a regular line input and see how quiet and scratchy it sounds - this is why phono inputs have preamps built in)

Another tip i can give you is keep your line levels on your mixer in the green by retaining your gains. Red = Bad. Then turn the master output up on your mixer as loud as you can before it starts to sound shitty (most mixers will be around 3/4-Full). Then slowly bring up the volume on your receiver to a comfortable mixing level.

Use the gain and the EQ to subtract / retain your mix. Boosting the Gains or the EQ will only create distortion (Red = Bad). Once you get the hang of this you can get a really nice clean & loud sound.

Back
Top Bottom