Serotonin depletion

Dustek

Finished the PhD
VIP Junglist
Messages
5,911
Likes
15
#1
Just to be clear - I haven't been popping or snorting, maybe too much beer yesterday (not that much though), but I've got a major serotonin depletion problem today.

I can tell that its a problem with my chemical levels (depression is genetic in our family - we love to be unhappy when we should be laughing) and have been popping St John's Wort - but it ain't working.

Any non-prescription and legal ideas?

Only one I've got is a tub of chocolate ice cream (yes I am a ho) and some cheery jumpup.

BTW No weird dreams :)
 

Indi

Tha Original ThreadKilla!
VIP Junglist
Messages
4,327
Likes
15
#2
Chocolate is a good one, because it is a comfort/feel good food, and lucozade (or other glucose based drink), as it replenishes you energy levels with your body's preffered source of energy, rather than caffeine. Also a good workout is helpful, as its lets you release stress and frustration, and gets you blood flowing and your organs functioning the way they really should be, without the aid of chemicals. Sex is good too (if you can get it up, some people can't if they're really depressed). These don't directly help with seratonin depletion, but will help you to cope with the blues while your seratonin levels returns back to normal.
 

Dustek

Finished the PhD
VIP Junglist
Messages
5,911
Likes
15
#3
Indi said:
Chocolate is a good one, because it is a comfort/feel good food, and lucozade (or other glucose based drink), as it replenishes you energy levels with your body's preffered source of energy, rather than caffeine. Also a good workout is helpful, as its lets you release stress and frustration, and gets you blood flowing and your organs functioning the way they really should be, without the aid of chemicals. Sex is good too (if you can get it up, some people can't if they're really depressed). These don't directly help with seratonin depletion, but will help you to cope with the blues while your seratonin levels returns back to normal.
Good idea about the workout and lucozade... I might grab my bike after work and head out for the hills and dnb. Should help.

Its awful and weird not to have a reason to be depressed but to get the blues anyway...

My kids will probably suffer as well.
 

Indi

Tha Original ThreadKilla!
VIP Junglist
Messages
4,327
Likes
15
#4
Dustek said:
Its awful and weird not to have a reason to be depressed but to get the blues anyway...
The main cause of depression is homonal imbalance, and loads of things can cause this, too hot or too cold weather, bad sleep patterns, nightmares, chemicals imbibement, illness, malnutrition (even just a little underplenished), increased concentration, the list is too big for me to write it all down. See, all homones work in synch with your organs and impulses of your brain, so if something was to throw a certain gland off balance, the normal releases of other homones would be too much or too little for your brain too cope with, and signs of imbalances are stored in your subconcious until something triggers it off. I hope this explains a little, its the really short explanation, and doesn't cover everything about this subject, as its massive and many things are unexplained. My uncle is a doctor who specialises in glands and hormones (can't remember that technical name for it), that how I know a little.
 

mesh

Active Member
VIP Junglist
Messages
4,399
Likes
14
#8
I'd agree with Indi's advice, but add that depression can also be caused by unresolved emotional/mental issues in your life, not just hormones. Sometimes stuff gets buried pretty deep and the subconscious lets it niggle at you for a long time.

Dude, are you talking to people you can trust about the heavy shit we all deal with ? Hope you feel better soon in any case .... :0
 

Indi

Tha Original ThreadKilla!
VIP Junglist
Messages
4,327
Likes
15
#9
mesh said:
I'd agree with Indi's advice, but add that depression can also be caused by unresolved emotional/mental issues in your life, not just hormones. Sometimes stuff gets buried pretty deep and the subconscious lets it niggle at you for a long time.
True I agree with you, deep rooted emotional problems are really bad, but I didn't say that hormones were the only reason for depression, but that they were one of the main reasons. And its often a bad event that triggers the sequence to depression. But he asked about getting depressed for no reason, like when people get the winter blues, which is caused by the change in temperature, changing sleep patterns and the change in the amount of daily daylight. And like rinsing pills, if you overuse your seratonin stores, then its obvious you're gonna feel down, and this isn't caused by emotional problems, but by chemical enhancement. But I do agree with you about deep rooted emotional problems eating away at you subconciously, they are probably the worst depression triggers.
 

Alba

geddiddinya
VIP Junglist
Messages
537
Likes
0
#10
Dustek said:
Anyone had any experience with 5htp?
Its a bit expensive so I'd like to know before I buy...
yeh i used to take it... helps for chemically induced depletion.

i find a nice big steak and a good multivitamin helps when I'm not feeling 100% mood wise.
 

Time Dependant

Jungle Hunter
VIP Junglist
Messages
2,173
Likes
3
#11
Trust man I get that shit I use to have it real bad when i was at college but have kinda started to control it a bit better. I find the gym is a great way to clear your head from depression also do a light workout when you get home then have a cold shower that always helps. I use to get paranoia attacks with it to where I use to think to much but I try & make myself realise that it is really all in my head. It's hard to predict when things like this happen & I've been like it for 4-5 years I think it started from pills as they have a major effect on your hormone & sertonin balance.

Hoep this helps mate
 

Dustek

Finished the PhD
VIP Junglist
Messages
5,911
Likes
15
#13
mesh said:
I'd agree with Indi's advice, but add that depression can also be caused by unresolved emotional/mental issues in your life, not just hormones. Sometimes stuff gets buried pretty deep and the subconscious lets it niggle at you for a long time.

Dude, are you talking to people you can trust about the heavy shit we all deal with ? Hope you feel better soon in any case .... :0
Thanks but the thing is I don't have any problems/heavy shit. Had some a while ago and sorted them but life is great now... I can moan about things or worry about the future... but I really can't complain. And I've got friends I talk to when things get heavy.

Just I start getting down for no reason. Exactly the same as the Tuesday morning E blues - chemicals getting out of balance... at least that's my hope.
 

Dustek

Finished the PhD
VIP Junglist
Messages
5,911
Likes
15
#14
sayber said:
Trust man I get that shit I use to have it real bad when i was at college but have kinda started to control it a bit better. I find the gym is a great way to clear your head from depression also do a light workout when you get home then have a cold shower that always helps. I use to get paranoia attacks with it to where I use to think to much but I try & make myself realise that it is really all in my head. It's hard to predict when things like this happen & I've been like it for 4-5 years I think it started from pills as they have a major effect on your hormone & sertonin balance.

Hoep this helps mate
Thanks. Took the bike out yesterday... Knocked me out before bed. But probably helped. Feeling better today.
 

logikz

I Am Not The King
Tribal Leader
VIP Junglist
Messages
11,117
Likes
2,984
#16
well shit i mean if you actually got it from drinking beer i think the easiest cure would be more beer. st johns worth is a legal natural pill you can get at them places that sell herbal shit, its specially for serotonin depletion and ive been told it works and everything. i never put much stock in that crap though. serotonin depletion haha correct me if im wrong but thats just you feeling a bit monged after a big night out haha
 

Time Dependant

Jungle Hunter
VIP Junglist
Messages
2,173
Likes
3
#19
Dustek said:
Nah, its been recurrent for a long time. And 3 beers is nothing.

Been doing the Wort. Time for 5htp and my bike.

Dude seriously don't drink & take St. Johns wort I use to do that & it got me into some very bad states, I found it made me worse then I already was & got me real angry to.
 
Top