Serato vs Traktor

Rubs90

KeyControl
VIP Junglist
Theres probably already been a thread created on this but I just cant seem to find a solid answer through the search function, so apologies in advance! Need some help choosing over serato or traktor. I only wanna mix with 2 decks (vinyl or cd), and it seems traktor is cheaper and easier to find used on ebay. Anything I should know about serato before I buy traktor? Anyone had any experience mixing dnb with these programs and care to shed some light?

I use Tracktor scratch myself but have played around on Serato. To be perfectly honest theres really no difference, im fairly sure they both have pretty much the same properties nd all that. Serato may have the option for a 3rd deck but im not sure? (Tracktor scratch 8 has this option anyway)
But yeah, Ive always been a tracktor fan purely because i started off using Tracktor 3 (the one which is software only). But like I said as far as i know theres not really much difference between them, maybe look at a couple of screenshots and find out which layout looks better to you?

One thing I will say though is i've found Serato is the more popular 'Scratch' software i've seen when playing out, I usually have to take my little Tracktor box with me because they usually only have Serato as 'standard'. Not really a big deal just something to keep in mind, maybe Serato's just a little bit more popular with dnb dj's?

Think I might be going for traktor then, because of the price difference.. Anyone recommend any traktor in specific? Read here somewhere that DJ's should only buy the pro software as the rest is junk, anyone have anything to say about this?

not sure to be honest but u may be able to buy the scratch duo unit and use the pro software if u can nab that from somewhere, but don't quote me on that.

Think I might be going for traktor then, because of the price difference.. Anyone recommend any traktor in specific? Read here somewhere that DJ's should only buy the pro software as the rest is junk, anyone have anything to say about this?
If you want to incorporate vinyl, go for Traktor Scratch. If you want to mix digital only, go for Traktor Pro 2. As far as interface goes, it depends on what you're after. If you are comfortable with your current mixer, then buy one of the Native Instruments Audio interfaces. What I ended up doing is purchasing the Kontrol S4 and then I received an discounted upgrade to Scratch. That way I can control vinyl and digital with a mixer that has the audio interface built in.

Cheers.

Alright guys, I'm wondering if you can just buy the soundcard interface for Traktor on its own - as a lot of the time the Traktor Pro 2 software is included with it - and then just buy the control vinyl seperately saving you a good £200, is this possible? Or have hey stopped you from geting around having to pay like £400 for the whole package?

cheers

Alright guys, I'm wondering if you can just buy the soundcard interface for Traktor on its own - as a lot of the time the Traktor Pro 2 software is included with it - and then just buy the control vinyl seperately saving you a good £200, is this possible? Or have hey stopped you from geting around having to pay like £400 for the whole package?

cheers
Check it out.

Man the traktor website just confuses me more.. theres so much software and hardware :lol:

If I was to buy an interface that would allow me to play both timecoded vinyls and switch to CD's if I wanted (not at the same time necessarily, 2 at a time), which would you recommend for around 150-200 pounds? Also, which software would be the best for this scenario as well, cant even seem to find the difference between traktor pro 2 and traktor scratch pro 2 :confused: (althought I might be an idiot)

everything scratch usually means that you could use timecode. as the others said, if youre after 2 deck mixing , cd or vinly, youre looking at traktor scratch duo 2 as the most reasonable package for your needs. im using this aswell and im happy with it .

If you bag an audio 10 you'll probably get traktor pro 2 with it. The confusing bit is that you need traktor SCRATCH pro 2 to be able to use timecode CD's and vinyl. This is the expensive bit.

There are various upgrade routes from the standard traktor, all of which will probably end up costing you more that you care to spend.

The cheapest way to get 2 decks going on traktor is with a Traktor Scratch DUO package. This is a cut down version of the software that only supports 2 decks and has less effects, etc. I know plenty of people that have run with this live, no problem.

I prefer the fully fledged version though, simply because I can rock 3 decks with it and the audio 8 is a cracking soundcard with more than enough inputs/outputs.

Things to bear in mind:
If you buy a separate soundcard you'll need to fork out for multicore cables and timecode vinyl separately, thats another £70. Definitely get the multicore cables, theyre legendary.
There are loads of different soundcards from NI out there, the old stuff is the audio 2 (for internal mixing, one stereo pair out), Audio 4 (2 external decks) and audio 8 (4 external decks (with scratch pro)). The new tech is the audio 6 and audio 10. The new soundcards require a power source greater than USB can handle, so need another plug socket. The old stuff doesnt.

What I recommend is getting a second hand audio 8 & traktor scratch pro package from ebay. Get the software lisence transferred over to you then put down the extra £70 to upgrade the software to the latest version of traktor.

Also, get a Kontrol X1. The best £150 ive ever spent on a piece of midi hardware.

used both. Im all vinyl atm...so was a bit daunting at first.

For me not being digi, money is the big factor between these two.
Isnt it a few hundred more pound for Serato? You dont need SL3 as you only want two decks. So traktor wins as long as it works as well IMO.

No difference...

Serato - Clean, simple GUI, eaier hardware setup onsite

Traktor - Inbuilt effects are slightly better, SYNC button if thats your thing, more support for controllers if you dont plann on using vinyl

I started on traktor moved to sl3, smallest hardware box, easiest setup and just the most basic feel to vinyl based on the non over developed GUI and look that ive found on a DVS.

If you pick either of those products thought you cant go wrong.

I thought Traktor was the more costly of the two?
Traktor Scratch PRO 2 :: DVS System vs SL 2 :: Serato Scratch Live 2 - 24-Bit DJ System
is what I was looking at

Theres probably already been a thread created on this but I just cant seem to find a solid answer through the search function, so apologies in advance! Need some help choosing over serato or traktor. I only wanna mix with 2 decks (vinyl or cd), and it seems traktor is cheaper and easier to find used on ebay. Anything I should know about serato before I buy traktor? Anyone had any experience mixing dnb with these programs and care to shed some light?

I have serato SL4 i purely went for this because you have plug ins for 4 deck mixes and i personally feel serato is the better of the 2 purely because of the look and feel of it but really if you are not willing to pay alot just get traktor its cheaper.... I have not used it personally but an acquintance of mine has it and its really just the same thang....

The thing with serato is if your going to get it your going to want to get the SL3 or higher in my opinion and this will not come cheap as for Traktor i dont really know how that works if you have to get a different interface or it can just upgrade but i assume you'll just have to pay more for the better interface...

I agree with what Sicx says i have seen serato in more set ups than Traktor thats probably why i think it is better... Must just be more popular in the scene :)

I would personally go with serato if you have cash to splash but just go with Traktor otherwise :)

if you want a 2 deck system, then traktor is like 200 cheaper?

3 deck system and they are the same

4 deck, i think serato might be a tad more expensive?

dont quote me on any of that, the only big difference I'm aware of it the 2 deck systems

Traktor I believe, although a used SL1 on ebay doesnt go for too much

Yeah SL1's what I've been learning to mix (properly) on, I found it alright to use, althoug hsound quality may be a bit shit.

All DVS' are rediculously expensive though from what I can see.

---------- Post added at 17:58 ---------- Previous post was at 17:55 ----------

I'm almost tempted to get CDJ's but I really don't like the feel of playing cd's - just be more cost efficient and easier to lug around I guess.

Back
Top Bottom