Serato timecode signal?

Forau

VIP Junglist
Can i get that signal cut to wax? Like, cut to proper vinyl instead of this shallow groove plasticy shit?

Could i download the cdj timecode signal you burn to cd and get that cut to vinyl? Im mowing through timecodes at the moment, mainly due to teeeeeny tiny surface scratches making em skip.

A yes or no to the above would be sick, but while im at it, any tips on taking care of timecodes? Seems even the tiniest knocks have em in shreds.

sure can. cutting vinyl / eds vinyl will do it for u
can put some else on the other side too, a fav track or some scratch samples. or maybe 32 bar sections of as many of ur fav teases as possible

Sick.

Think its definately a worthy investment as it'll be a lot more scratch resistant than the normal serato control vinyl. The grooves are so shallow and so ridiculously easy to scratch. Literally bought some brand new ones from Westenddj before th weekend, ones already skipping :/

Im not treating then like shit either, just normal use and then i'll notice it just jumps a bar, i'll hold it to the light and see theres a teeeeennyyy tiny scratch which seems to be connecting 2 grooves, hence the skipping.

Serato has saved me a tonne of money on not having to buy mediocre tunes on vinyl, but now its starting to add up in the cost of timecodes. And im getting seriously paranoid when other people go anywhere near the control vinyl.

are ur tonearms and carts set up ok buddy?
ur carts aren't too heavy or too light on the vinyl, and is ur tonearm perfectly horizontal?
ive been using the same set since jan and mine are as good as new still.

or maybe ur using elliptical needles?

Tonearm is more or less completly horizontal and from what i can see theres no dragging.

Im using concorde DJS carts and styli.

Saying that, I do have quite a lot of weight applied though, i heard a while back that timecode vinyl require more weight on them?

Last edited:
Yeah search cutting vinyl on facebook

Yeah ive already got a few tunes cut by him. I posted his page on here way back =P.

Just wanted to see if getting the timecode signal cut to proper vinyl would sort my problem of unreliable and easily damaged timecodes. Cant be assed shelling out £30 for a pair of timecode vinyl to get cut when its going to be the same durability as the standard pair for £20 =P

i heard a while back that timecode vinyl require more weight on them?

shouldn't do. as long as its making contact with it and not jumping, i'd have them as light as u can get away with. check the styli manual for what tracking weight they recomend and just make sure u can cue back and forth ok without them jumping.

i'd recomend you set up your tonearms and anti skating each time you move your turntables. give me a shout if you need any help, there are some good vids out there showing you how.

shouldn't do. as long as its making contact with it and not jumping, i'd have them as light as u can get away with. check the styli manual for what tracking weight they recomend and just make sure u can cue back and forth ok without them jumping.

i'd recomend you set up your tonearms and anti skating each time you move your turntables. give me a shout if you need any help, there are some good vids out there showing you how.

Hmm, oky doke. I'll give em a proper look tonight when i get back from the office.

Moneys getting seriously tight and im getting really pissed that they keep getting scratched as when im skint i like to stay in on the decks, which i now cant do cos a timecode i bought a week ago now has a scratch in it lol.

Im always so careful as well, i dont understand why it keeps happening and pissing £12 quid away every time it gets a tiny scratch is doing my nut in.

The Serato timecode from the CD is different to the vinyl one. Cutting the CD timecode to dubplate will not work!

You'll need a clean source from the Scratch Live vinyl.

Last edited:
like ted says, check your weighting mate, i've had mine for 6 months now and they are starting to show a bit of wear but not much at all, certainly no skipping anyway...

has to be something to do with how you've set it all up

like ted says, check your weighting mate, i've had mine for 6 months now and they are starting to show a bit of wear but not much at all, certainly no skipping anyway...

has to be something to do with how you've set it all up

This.
I've had mine for about 5 months and there's barely a mark on them. Use them a good few hours a day minimum.

What on earth are you doing to them? :teeth:

Oh so u were the one who nicked my original cutting vinyl thread from the production forum and tried to take credit for it urself in waffle?? Lol

LOL! I did no such thing! I noticed your thread after i created mine, i saw a few pals from dnbforum on fbook had liked Cutting Vinyl on facebook so checked it out and made a thread. No plaguarism intended i swear ;).

I went home on lunch (i live 2 minute walk from the office so go home on lunch for a mix when its been a stressful day :P), and i lowered the weight loads and the timecode that i was having porblems with yesterday didnt skip :/.

Im gonna be seriously pissed if thats whats doing it cos i got a heap of about 6 timecodes i assumed were fucked. Gonna try em all out at lower counterweight and see if they still skip too.

Maybe the huge weight on em was making them fling up when it reached a tiny scratch rather than just skimming over if i had a lower weight set?

Either way im going to spend a while tonight re configuring my setup properly as i havent calibrated everything for a veryyyy long time.

Sweet for the help boys.

Yeah something's not quite adding up here Rich. Mine were skipping loads when I first started but I found out that was because the blue shit was coming off the time coded 'vinyl' and blocking up the stylus. Maybe have a look at that first?

Also having deeper grooves would be cool coz the lack of stability in the mix is one of the wackest things about Serato...

I meant compared to vinyl. Once I've got two vinyl records together I usually have enough time to roll a joint and make some toast whereas with Serato I have to spend every bloody second watching over them and if I try and move the channel volume or do something exciting with the crossfader the mix starts to slip.

I wish they made the time codes heavier or the grooves deeper or fuck knows what just to improve it. Shouldn't grumble really it's great fun.

Love your sig btw...

#Yeh mate.. before getting a vinyl cut... check your tonearm.... mine is absolutly battered from all the traveling and what not... surprised it even plays at all.... but it works still... far surpased any vinyl in the same condition.

Plus... im sure the vinyl coding is different??

Back
Top Bottom