Serato SL1 Vs SL3

TongueFlap

Flappin'
VIP Junglist
What is the difference between the 2 models? Any one use serato? is it good? Is it better than a CDJ?

Best thing ive ever bought in my life...

SL1

- Uses both the phono and line on a channel in order to switch between playing vinyl and serato
- Uses a 16bit CODEC soundcard
- You can record your vinyl collection to files, which then can be used to play out with
- Mic input and thru, this allows you to sample vocals and instanty have playback/control via the vinyl

SL3

- Smaller box
- Uses has internal software thru button to switch between playing vinyl and serato which means only one connection into the line of the mixer
- Uses a 24bit CODEC soundcard (much better quality)
- You can record your vinyl collection to files, which then can be used to play out with
- Has a AUX RCA input/output on the soundcard which can be used for recoring mixes internally in the software, a sampler and more recently, it enables a 3rd deck
- With 2.0 update (public beta, full out soon) FX are avalible.

Across both everything is midi assignable. Any questions fire away lol

ah thanks for the comparisons..

im using alot more mp3s now, i got a cdj800 & 2 1210s but i was thinking of getting rid of a 1210 and getting another 800, but if i bought serato i could have the best of both. hmm decisions.

Does it act exactly like vinyl? any lag from when cueing etc?

so long as ur laptop is fast enough there shouldn't be a problem, and as programs go, serato is fairly low when it comes to using up ur cpu

Recently upgraded from vinyl to SL3, absolutely fucking fantastic. No real lag, or issues at all.

Cant fault it really, and being able to record a mix in the program is perfect for podcasts etc... (and with The Bridge when it comes out youll seriously be laughing).

Think the SL3 is gonna be 3 deck in the near future too.

ah thanks for the comparisons..

im using alot more mp3s now, i got a cdj800 & 2 1210s but i was thinking of getting rid of a 1210 and getting another 800, but if i bought serato i could have the best of both. hmm decisions.

Does it act exactly like vinyl? any lag from when cueing etc?

Depends on the spec of your comp (you can run a basic serato on litterally any pc over 1gb and for macs it will run perfectly with that)

You can turn up and down the latency within the software which increases the bandwidth on the usb meaning you need more processing power obviously. This will increase / decrease the 'lag' but tbh there isnt really any...It feels a tad different from vinyl when you start but i think alot of it is placebo...i mix between the two nowadays when im goin b2b or round a mates and the change is seamless, it will never be vinyl but the other pros also outweight it.

Dont forget Serato can be used for both CDs and vinyl so you can get sl3 and still keep your 3 decks...

ah sounds good. I would be running it with a macbook with 4gb ram, so that should be fine.

so if you playing an mp3 using serato on your 1210 and you wanted to play vinyl, do you litterly change to a vinyl and it will play with out the need to change anything else?

Serato is the future, eventually I'd like to think that every big club / venue will already have the latest hardware box built into the setup ... with a dedicated space for the users laptop, that way any dj looking to use Serato can simply roll up to the club, plug the usb cable into their laptop and start the set ... the only problem at the moment is that not everyone is on board yet so most djs will have to perform the old switcheroo with the phono / line cables before they can start their set ... which doesn't take long but can be a little bit inconvenient especially when there are cables all over the shop behind the mixer

BUT

The impressive list of big time drum and bass djs using Serato is ever increasing ...

Marky
SPY
Grooverider
Roni Size
A-Sides
Shy FX
Shortee

There's loads more these are just a few off the top of my head ...

ah niceone for the info chaps! might have to start saving some pennies or flog something. sounds good to me!

^^Switch from line to phono. simple as that :)

Wrong...with SL3 as ive stated there is no connections to the phono input on the mixer...the software has a button that allows thru on the vinyl

SL3 also already has a 3rd deck if your using the 2.0 beta (I recommend it too seems stable)

So you plug your decks into the box then straight into phono, then switch on the box? Just be fully sure ;)

well changing from line/phono or pressing a button seems pretty straight forward.

What is this bridge thing then? something to do with Live?

Im guessing you can loads the tunes up in live, edit them, cue them, chop them and play them out from that?

Well The Bridge runs from ableton into serato or the other way round depending on what you wanna do.

The major thing i looked at when that info came out was recording from serato into ableton. Basically it saves your mixes in ableton and you can adjust transitions / levels / even fix mixes if they drift a bit.

And your other question about playing between vinyl and serato; on the SL3 you just press a button on the program and it just plays the vinyl. Have - Decks > Serato box > Mixer & PC

Well The Bridge runs from ableton into serato or the other way round depending on what you wanna do.

The major thing i looked at when that info came out was recording from serato into ableton. Basically it saves your mixes in ableton and you can adjust transitions / levels / even fix mixes if they drift a bit.

And your other question about playing between vinyl and serato; on the SL3 you just press a button on the program and it just plays the vinyl. Have - Decks > Serato box > Mixer & PC

However the bridge is a paid for seperate product not a mandatory update

all sound pretty cool tbh... would like to have a spare 2k just to buy a load of equipment and play about with it :D

I'm thinking of upgrading to sl3.. running torq at the minute which is a cheap alternative.. however the software is bugged up to its eyeballs and unstable

so is sertato stable? and has anyone got any experience with the 3 deck feature.. is it any good?

and how much did you pay for sl3?

I'm thinking of upgrading to sl3.. running torq at the minute which is a cheap alternative.. however the software is bugged up to its eyeballs and unstable

so is sertato stable? and has anyone got any experience with the 3 deck feature.. is it any good?

and how much did you pay for sl3?

3 Decks work fine and dandy all completely stable, not keen on their decided on-screen layout for 3 decks (If you want all 3 wave forms) but it definatly all works.

Back
Top Bottom