Serato Scratch Live

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by AfroJafro, Sep 11, 2008.

1. AfroJafro

AfroJafro Member

2. robhicks1

robhicks1 Nuts about Zoo

I don't have Serato mate but I use Traktor scratch instead. And I fooking love it. At first I didn't like it compared to vinyl but after a while getting used to it I would say I prefer it now:)

3. JayHecttech

JayHecttech Member

software looks ok and will do what its designed for but seriously, where is the skill using software.

i must be gettin old cos i can remember the days when dj'ing was an art, summat special, summat to take pride in doing

4. robhicks1

robhicks1 Nuts about Zoo

Thats the point though mate. This is the same as vinyl. The only difference is you have a laptop instead of a record box:)

There are still disputes about the pros and cons though.
    E.G. Vinyl is higher quality but downloading is cheaper.

5. JayHecttech

JayHecttech Member

hmmm dunno, the day i went over to software and left my technics n vinyl wud be a sad sad day

its better in a way i guess, more accessable for ppl but then u have the old arguement of money.....
    downloads are cheaper, vinyl does put a hole in ya pocket but the other side to coin is having a cpl labels myself i know from experience theres no money to be made from downloads.
    if vinyl sales ever die you'll find alot of labels ceasing which then means mp3's will cease to. cant have 1 without the other

6. Riisu

Riisu Not the Preacher Man

i bought this first (about 16 months ago) then moved onto vinyl around the start of the year.

serato taught me shit loads about how tunes are arranged, cueing, phrasing - and gave me a visal representation of this (which is what i still picture now)
    and on the mixing side it gave me time to sort out my eqing and mixer control to a (what i'd class as decent standard) fairly quickly.
    it was brilliant.
    when i first got it, i was just downloaded tunes (that i hadn't even heard before) and just started mixing them in tune and on time, first time. it was actually amazing.

but then, i started buying more and more vinyl and i just couldn't stop. so i ditched serato, learnt how to beat match (the one thing serato hadn't taught me how to do) and that was that!

serato taught me a hell of a lot about djing, apart from the one thing you really needed (imo) which was beat matching. after i nailed that, BAD BOY BOOM SELECT.

ya na.

7. AfroJafro

AfroJafro Member

Im for vinyl 100% but when u see this kitty in action u will be seriously suprised how good it is.
    Esp scatching/Mixing live visuals. Its the way forward. When i go and see a dj play out i always feel there is something lacking. Just watching someone jump up and down with his hands in the air is just not appealing to me as much as it did

Went to see dj yoda a while ago and it blew me away.
    I like to see a show. You could put on an amazing show with this software !

8. JayHecttech

JayHecttech Member

ideally having both (serato n vinyl) wud be good
    adding summat special,fresh to mixes is all good

hopefully it wont ever appear in dnb, so far it aint in hardcore but in other genres such as trance, house etc some dj's are now just turning up with a laptop, firing up ableton and basically playing prerecorded sets at raves. that sucks big time !

9. Riisu

Riisu Not the Preacher Man

a sides, grooverider, marcus intelex, drumsound & bassline. . . are a few people who i know use it.

a-sides version of serato is SICK. it's all white and he's got some custom nikes to go with it.
    i'll dig out the photo when i get home.

10. AfroJafro

AfroJafro Member

Yeah i seen him with some amazing kit. Friend who i saw last night is sponsored and has some amazing stuff lucky **** !

11. Fes Rock

Fes Rock Nothing..........

Asides is a good dude. one of the most down to earth people i have ever met. (no homo)

Serato is the way forward imo

12. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

I'll probably buy this one day.

13. robhicks1

robhicks1 Nuts about Zoo

(y)