Serato Scratch Live

OPBREAK

Technics
how many of you use it?

how long have you been using it?

were you on vinyl first and for how long?

do you think its made you a better dj/mixer if you switched from wax to ssl?

me, i've been on ssl for two and a half years and i love it.
i spun wax for many years before it and made the switch to be able to stay more current with new releases and get the hook up for dubs. i refused to touch cdjs before so playing dubs on digital format was out of the question.

i was a pretty fast mixer with vinyl, but i feel ssl has made me faster and better than i was. having access to a browser window full of information as opposed too digging in my record box is great. although that was the toughest thing to get used too. i was used too seeing my records, the color of the label, and where they were in the box...and so on. once i got over that it was cake.

:slayer:

2 years

Was on vinyl for 4months before i realised all the draw back of the format and all the gains of Serato

It hasnt and wont make you a better DJ but it will enable you to do things you couldnt before with vinyl that you couldnt with cdjs e.g hot cue, loop... It also enables you to change tracks quicker than diggin through a bag and replacing a tune, I can achieve 3 deck speeds on 2 decks using techniques.

i'm switching to serato this time next week which i cant wait for, but the main reason i switched was because vinyl is just to expensive with the ammount of sick tracks that get released every week.... i'd still say vinyl mixing is the best way to mix and the easiest ot be creative with because well it just is, i've used serato quite a bit over the past year or so and its really fun using all the feautres on it like looping etc. but it still doesn't beat vinyl in my eyes

i'm switching to serato this time next week which i cant wait for, but the main reason i switched was because vinyl is just to expensive with the ammount of sick tracks that get released every week.... i'd still say vinyl mixing is the best way to mix and the easiest ot be creative with because well it just is, i've used serato quite a bit over the past year or so and its really fun using all the feautres on it like looping etc. but it still doesn't beat vinyl in my eyes

Its only the best by your opinion (CDJs have far more pros) and certainly not the most creative

yeah i got it the other week and absolutely love it cause now i can play all the tunes that i dont have on vinyl and cause i fucking hate cdjs.

dont think its gonna make me a better dj in any way other than its motivating me to get back into djing cause i cant afford vinyl these days.

It also enables you to change tracks quicker than diggin through a bag and replacing a tune, I can achieve 3 deck speeds on 2 decks using techniques.[/I]

i agree 100%. thats what i mean about making you a better dj, or i should say a good dj more efficient.

i know ssl can use cds as well, but in my opinion people like watching a DJ use turntables. its that moving platter, tone arm level of control. its exciting. DJs i see spin on cdjs seem lackluster in their delivery of a set.

... i use 2 1210s and a cdj400 and thats enuff for me ... for now lol

Last edited:
vinyl for 3 years, then went to school and couldn't bring records/turntables

switched to final scratch 1 after 1st year of school, moved to traktor scratch this year.

best part about the dvs is being able to find the track you want to play really quickly.

i mixed with vinyl 7 years before i made the switch to serato...one of the main reasons for the switch was money...the cost for one record is the equivalent to 6 mp3s...and as for improvements, i feel like it has made me more efficient..i mean the ability to literally scroll thru tracks has made it much less time consuming as opposed to digging thru your vinyl bag/crate

on a sidenote, have any of u seen the new rane sixty-eight mixer?..fuck that thing is a BEAST!!!..if i had the money i would definetly pick one up

rane sixty-eight mixer?..fuck that thing is a BEAST!!!..if i had the money i would definetly pick one up

this.

all in all i agree with your entire post. i switched for that reason, and to stay up on new tunes. but yeah the speed at which you can access your tunes and get them cued up is one of the biggest strengths of the system when used on decks.

i recently used the cdj2000's at a friends house, with the browser window and "needle drop" finger pad...it doesn't come close to ssl on tables.
the 2000's browser window is small, the info in it is large, and the jog wheel is way slower than scrolling the ssl browser on a computer.

this.

all in all i agree with your entire post. i switched for that reason, and to stay up on new tunes. but yeah the speed at which you can access your tunes and get them cued up is one of the biggest strengths of the system when used on decks.

i recently used the cdj2000's at a friends house, with the browser window and "needle drop" finger pad...it doesn't come close to ssl on tables.
the 2000's browser window is small, the info in it is large, and the jog wheel is way slower than scrolling the ssl browser on a computer.

this was my second reason for switching to serato...there are hundreds of tracks out there that never made it to vinyl but are in mp3 format

Almost a full year now

Yes, I started on vinyl for 3 years before making the switch

Absolutely. I've since added an M-audio trigger finger and my sets are way more original because I can loop/cue on the fly as well as use the new 2.0 DJ-FX plugin. I mix faster and am more accurate since I can estimate bpms much faster. I can also play the great digital-only releases as well as play out some tracks from local producers that probably won't ever be printed on wax.

Is there a great deal of diference between sl1 and sl3? I wanna splash the cash but got a baby on the way so money is tight and wanna know if sl3 is worth the extra money or not

Is there a great deal of diference between sl1 and sl3? I wanna splash the cash but got a baby on the way so money is tight and wanna know if sl3 is worth the extra money or not

Serato SL1

USB 1.1 full speed audio interface.
94 dB dynamic range on line out.
Maximum audio output: 2 Vrms.
16-bit 44.1 kHz converters.
Mic input for recording or LiveFeed.
Independent thru connections.
Select CD or Vinyl Control.
Optional power supply.

Serato SL3

USB 2.0 high speed audio interface.
Improved dynamic range: 104 dB.
Maximum audio output: 3 Vrms (hotter output).
24-bit 44.1 or 48 kHz converters.
Aux Input for Live Mix Recording or LiveFeed.
Aux Output allows use of the Sample Player as a Virtual Deck.
Aux Output opens the door for future expansion and creative configurations.
High-grade phono preamps upgrade the performance of most mixers.
Software switchable Direct Thru connections: less cable required.
Independent Line / Phono-level selection for each input for greater flexibility.
Galvanic isolation prevents computer noise from interfering with audio path.
Soft carry case included.
Includes international power supply: best performance and easy transfer between DJs.
Control up to 3 Virtual Decks in Scratch Live 2.0

I use an SL1 and haven't had any trouble or felt "limited" by the hardware whatsoever

if you wanna use 3 decks and be able to record your set without any extra hardware or software needed SL3 is the way to go. I have been on vinyl for about 9 years. I tried cdjs for a few months but grew tired of them quickly.I am on SL1 and will never look back ,glad I sold the cdjs.

Played vinyl for about 8 years before swithing to Traktor Scratch pro last year. Pretty much the same thing as Serato.

However i love it, it has made me faster and more diverse in a lot of ways. Went from playin 24 tunes per hour to over 30 per hour. It allows me to do a bit more mashup / genre switching and of course i can carry alot more music in my bag than just 80 er so records.

Back
Top Bottom