Serato/Final Scratch....Opinions

David Bass

Neuro-Technologist
VIP Junglist
This hardware/software allows manipulation and playback of digital audio files (mp3, wav, aiff, ogg and aac) using traditional vinyl turntables or CD players via special timecode vinyl records or CDs. It seeks to cross the divide between the versatility of digital audio and the tactile control of vinyl turntablism.

What is everyones opinion of these devices?

With more and more tunes becoming available as MP3s, even MP3-only, I can see this becoming the way forward. Record and CD sales are both in decline now that MP3s are becoming more widely available. Serato / Final Scratch / Traktor Scratch offer the best of both worlds; you can still play the vinyl you've spent years collecting, but you can also play the latest MP3 releases on the same setup.

With vinyl turntables still the "prefered" option over CDJs, I think CDJs will eventually become more rare as more Digital / Vinyl systems become available (and therefore cheaper)

yeh final scratch is a cool idea n alot of people use it these days...was supprised to see how cheap it actually is.

i don't use it anymore. i spin vinyl.

i'm a purist, but would love to have a go with something like that just to see

I'm almost exclusively vinyl, I haven't used my CDJ in months. In fact it's not even set up, it's on the floor. But two months ago my local shop closed down. It made me realise that new vinyl is going to become more and more hard to come by

you have the internet at your fingertips....i know its good supporting a local shop, if u have one that is. if not, you'll find every record u wud ever want online

The industry is heading this way. I can see cdjs disappearing in a few years. I don't like looking at a computer screen tho while djing.....I'd rather be reading grooves.

ive got Ableton 7 & virtual DJ 5 (4 when i wanna just piss about playing out to my friends)
Ableton is a phat program for everything (Making beats, DJin, Producing)
Virtual DJ is set out like a actual pair of decks and a mixer in front of you, its very simple to use and can easy make you sound like andy c wiv very little effort! Kinda cheating i know but its fun to piss about on, you can plug your decks and mixer into the pc and use timecoded records to control your MP3s in the exact same way as vinyl

still nothing like a vinyl in your hand tho

Last edited:
i started out on serato and then moved to vinyl.
i think it's just one of those things, if you've got a love for it, you'll do what you believe is the right thing to do.
not saying that one is better than the other in anyway, and there is really no right or wrong.

but vinyl is blatantly better.

also, if anybody is interested in buying serato, i'm selling mine.
pm me for a price.

Back
Top Bottom