sequencing a bassline

Innovine

Hey, just a couple of quick questions for you guys who can produce decent basslines, cos mine are terribly lame...
I'm using an electribe esx to sequence with, and I suck, and I'm not sure if it's just me or due to hardware limitations (say I use Massive for the sound). The esx sequencer is monophonic (tho there are 5 channels), and quantized to 16ths. Do you ever find yourself requiring more than this to get a decent bassline? Also, when it comes to modulating the synths parameters, apart from maybe recording the filter sweeping wobbles do you often automate parameters by drawing wavy lines in your sequencer, or is it mostly using envelopes and lfo's in the synth itself?

What are your must-have features in a sequencer?
thanks..

Congratulations on using gear. Using a hardware sequencer to make basslines is a fine idea. Finding the right sound to sequence is the whole trick. Often basslines are two or three part sounds. First try sequencing a sub type bass then lay that down. Then come up with a sound that works well with that. Then sequence the new sound so that the two compliment each other. For example: Boom-wap , you see what I mean?

I love the hands-on approach for gear. It's just so direct :)
The electribe can sequence several parts, so yeah it'd be fine to add a sub bass, a mid bass and even some other swooshy noises on top, as long as each part is monophonic. I'll have a go now and see how far I can get, cheers for the tip and inspiration!

when it comes to modulation / movement in ur basses there is no one correct way to do it - use everything in ur arsenal to get what u want - eg massive has that wicked lfo performance grid that lets u create all sorts of weird n wonderful shapes that give lots of movement, and a lot of synths u just play about with the lfos to get the movement in there, however recording automations manually can give u some wicked results too, even try both :D (eg making ur sound in massive with all the lfos etc then bounce and make more filter automations in a sampler etc)

sometimes a good tip would be stay simple. av got massive and the bar stepper and performance lfo can give you such movement in your bass you get carried away with it and lose the feel for the sound. a little bird once told me to consider the intro, break, sub arrangement and you really need to bear that in mind when sequencing a bassline.

Back
Top Bottom