Seperate tracks for seperate drums?

Discussion in 'Production' started by chris getme, Apr 7, 2009.

1. chris getme

chris getme Dub Logic

Im on logic using ultrabeat and I never know whether to put each drum on each track. I tend to do this so that I can have seperate eq etc on each drum. Gets a bit annoying tho. I cud use the eq on ultrabeat but its not ideal. Any ways around this?

2. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

always depends man, i have about 8 drum tracks on average, normally more.
    i have a few kits with different loops to add variation to the drumloop.
    also i cut off snare and kicks in seperate tracks so i can add abit of punch to my drums.
    its always different man i dont have a forumla or anything, just depends on what type of tune im workin on

3. Lucidproduction

Lucidproduction i aint fraid of no ghosts

yeah i think its pretty much standard for most people to seperate each of their hits and their breaks into seperate tracks, just so that each drum can hit the right frequency

its usual for me to have kicks, snares, hats, rides, and breaks all on seperate paths so u can filter out the crap in each one of them!!

but like the dnb man said theres no formula;

if u need to put something through an equalizer to cut some of it out, u need to give its own track

its not always neccesary tho

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  4. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Yeah, as above. My current method is 1.Kick (aux send to track 2) 3.Snare(aux send to track 4) 5.Snare layer (if any eg clap)
    Then 1 track each for hat, cymbals, percussion, breaks.

The reason for the aux sends is so I can double the volume of my kick and snare without any clipping. This might just be a quirk with my setup but it works well for me.
    Definitely I would want as much flexibility as possible later on when I add all the bass and synths etc and discover that one of my drums sounds needs to be louder or eq'ed differently.
    That's where I'm at now anyway, learning all the time.

5. kama

kama benkama.net

Most samplers and drum machines have multiple outputs, so you can have one machine but still work on many channels at the same time. I've never used logic but this just has to be possible in it, all modern DAW's can do it. Check the manual or find a tutorial.

6. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

shouldve seen back in logic 4.7, it didnt have mutltiple outs so youd have to load another instance of vsampler every time you wanted another fx channel, was fucking murder. this was back in 2001 mind you, but i still did a few tunes in logic, theyre pretty funny to listen to now

7. Dave Dexcell

Dave Dexcell Dexcell

Yeah man seperate tracks for seperate hits all the way if u can link the channels after its always a plus i.e if your kick is in channel 1 and your snaire is in channel 2 and so on and so on link all the tracks your using for your drums to an empty channel in the mixer this way u can put them all through one filter etc etc...

8. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Yeah, using a bus is sweet. That's another good reason to use seperate tracks. You can send some of your drums to your reverb/filter or whatever but not all (say leave out your kick/snare which you want crisp.)
    More flexibility!!!!
    Worth the time.