Sending tracks to labels!

Subficial

So i have a question how people send their music demos to labels or big DJ-s nowadays, because before we had AIM messenger and after AIM closed or got unpopular there is no real track sending program. So what do people use? Only email or skype?

Look it up on soundcloud. Most labels accept private tracks. Some of them want you to send an email. Others have a dropbox on their website...

Usually send mine with a nice landscape picture of my penis, as soon as they see it, they know I'm a star in the making!

(also dropbox is like the thing to send shit on these days!)

One bit of advice i would add is that you should think about the labels you are sending music to and does your demo fit with that labels style - I get sent around 60 to 100 tunes / Promos / demos a week and only about 3 or 4 at the very most fit with what I like or do - Less is more, No point in sending a tune out to tons of labels when its only gonna fit on a few

Also when I know a label demo has been sent to other labels it makes me less likely to want it as its only been sent to me as a after thought - Someone sent me something the other day and said " this was for label x but they didnt want it" I just think " well so you are now trying to pass other labels rejects off on me then cheers"

Also well worth spending the time to get a selection of DJ's behind you first as well - Send them tunes and see if they play then (again focus on DJ's who play the style of tunes you make) that way you can be sure your tunes are at a quality worth sending out - I have a mental list of producers who I dont bother downloading cos they send me half arsed unfinished tunes every week - They could be making amazing music now BUT cos they sent me really bad shit in the first place I just avoid new stuff as I don't have the time to deal with 3 minute clips of half finished neuro funk

#Waffle

To answer your original question - Most Dj's have a email on their twitter BIO of where to send tunes, Labels have info on websites also worth checking on Facebook pages for contact info as well

http://36hertz.com/demos/

One bit of advice i would add is that you should think about the labels you are sending music to and does your demo fit with that labels style - I get sent around 60 to 100 tunes / Promos / demos a week and only about 3 or 4 at the very most fit with what I like or do - Less is more, No point in sending a tune out to tons of labels when its only gonna fit on a few

Also when I know a label demo has been sent to other labels it makes me less likely to want it as its only been sent to me as a after thought - Someone sent me something the other day and said " this was for label x but they didnt want it" I just think " well so you are now trying to pass other labels rejects off on me then cheers"

Also well worth spending the time to get a selection of DJ's behind you first as well - Send them tunes and see if they play then (again focus on DJ's who play the style of tunes you make) that way you can be sure your tunes are at a quality worth sending out - I have a mental list of producers who I dont bother downloading cos they send me half arsed unfinished tunes every week - They could be making amazing music now BUT cos they sent me really bad shit in the first place I just avoid new stuff as I don't have the time to deal with 3 minute clips of half finished neuro funk

#Waffle

To answer your original question - Most Dj's have a email on their twitter BIO of where to send tunes, Labels have info on websites also worth checking on Facebook pages for contact info as well

http://36hertz.com/demos/

Thanks for the insight...

Could I ask, if the tune is maybe just not quite at the level but you like everything else about it would this have a similar effect or would you recommend they carry sending tunes?
I was always under the impression I shouldn't send them out to DJs first as the labels wanted 100% barely heard before exclusives, how wrong I was!

oh and be prepared to be disappointed!
from a hundred emails only a handful will even be opened, from those opened only few will actually listen to your song for longer than a few sec and from the few that bother to respond to your email most will tell something along the lines of "not what we're looking for but keep going! good luck". prob 1 successfull response, 3 at best. depends where you send it tho. if you're willing to sign stuff to labels with fewer follows than my grandma you'll likely get positive responses all over the place - they sign anything really.

i don't want to disencourage you, but this is simply how it rolls...

if you have a budget then try asking some agency like cygnus if they can make a mail-out or something... that'll prob be way more effective but costs some $$, otherwise it's private SC links via email - keep em short and personalize the name.

Most labels will have info on their social media accounts directing you where to send demos. In the event that they don't contact them and ask them how you can submit demos. Most will at least write back with an email address.

Also, don't submit more than two songs. If they like what you send they'll ask to hear more. Nothing will make a label lose interest faster than an artist who sends a large amount of music right from the get-go.

I would start by making a list of the top 10 labels you'd want to release your music and contact them. If nobody is interested make another list of 10 labels you respect and would be happy to work with. Rinse & repeat.

Back
Top Bottom