Sending tracks to DJs/Producers

Menosance

aka OSOI
VIP Junglist
Guys this idea came into my head. You know I have I couple of tracks that are quite good and possible signage to labels but I was thinking to send them to DJs and or producers.

What are the advantages of this?? Is it true that labels might pick you up from a mix that DJ played your track in or is it just a legend??

Thanks,
Menosance :)

The worst thing that could happen is they won't respond. It's not like their going to hear your song and be like "AYE YO M8, FUCK YOU MOTHER FUCKER, BITCH! I'MA TELL ALL DUH NIGGAS IN MY HOOD WHAT A BITCH YOU TRULY IS! AIN'T NOBLOODY GON' SIGN YO BITCH ASS NAW, WWWHHHAAATTT, black person".

tl;dr do it.

The worst thing that could happen is they won't respond. It's not like their going to hear your song and be like "AYE YO M8, FUCK YOU MOTHER FUCKER, BITCH! I'MA TELL ALL DUH NIGGAS IN MY HOOD WHAT A BITCH YOU TRULY IS! AIN'T NOBLOODY GON' SIGN YO BITCH ASS NAW, WWWHHHAAATTT, black person".

tl;dr do it.

hahaha made me crack. might try still not conviced because I am thinking why should they play my track when they have at least 50 new songs to play then?

Guys this idea came into my head. You know I have I couple of tracks that are quite good and possible signage to labels but I was thinking to send them to DJs and or producers.

What are the advantages of this?? Is it true that labels might pick you up from a mix that DJ played your track in or is it just a legend??

Thanks,
Menosance :)

The advantage of this mainly would be to get exposure. To get your tunes heard and get your name out. There may be a small chance of some random label hearing it and wanting to pick it up buy not really likely. If you want your tunes signed, just send them directly to labels.

As scourge said, it's a good way to be exposed if your tracks are played by "famous" DJ's ;)

I wouldn't bother sending it to producers, we're all to niave and too busy with our own sounds! In all honesty, chances are if you send them to big DJ's in the scene, they wont play it, unless it's a huge monster of a track that's been professionally mastered and is already tearing up the place! It might happen, but I wouldn't hold out any hope. Find out what the local scene is like round your area, get chatting with some local DJ's that play small venues close by, or radio stations etc. They'll be more likely to respond to you, and drop your stuff as they are trying to get noticed too! By building a rappor with them and chatting regularly it's a great opportunity to create partnerships. You can get some local talent on your promo lists, then send out any new tracks to the local DJ's, they can give you feedback on how the crowd reacted to your tracks, what you can improve on etc etc.....everyones a winner! The DJ's get fresh Dubs that no one else has, and you get your tracks played out!

This to me is probably the best way to go about it, you need to look at yourself as a product, or a business. Once your tracks start getting noticed around your local scene, there's more of a chance of someone on the next rung up on the ladder wanting to drop your stuff. Start small and build on opportunity.

At the end of the day if your aim is to get a tune signed then I would 100% always just send it to a label.
Generally speaking, the label will always listen to your track and if it's good enough they will surely let you know.

I think crack on and send your tunes to DJ's, sending my beats to Pennygiles ended up getting other producers hitting me up about mystuff and in turn set up opportunities with a label. So yea, send them around :)

Lots of mixed ideas and opinions. I just send 1 track to 2 'radio hosts' to see if something would happen. I know 2 djs won't cut but since it is my first time sending dubs then I am gonna start small. I personally share my the same idea as Fletch's but if it is a option to help me out even more, then I shall explore it. That is what made me think about it.

tl;dr do it.

The worst thing that could happen is someone claiming the track as their own and the creator gets no credit for it. It happens.

The worst thing that could happen is someone claiming the track as their own and the creator gets no credit for it. It happens.

Yeah but then that dummy who stole the track receieves the flack required and deserved by the true creators fans... And to add to this thread, bro go for it and send your best and most vibrant, power packed, brilliant mixdowns! Never send them something on the level of just learning or not that strong of a mixdown! Gotta get your own personal skill up to par so you are confident in everything that you do! So whatever track you play out, just by yourself just literally absolutely wows you and astonishingly blows you away!!! Not saying tracks are bad. Some are just not picked up cause its not their sound nor style. Some dont get picked up because the mixdown wasnt that good, even if it is their style and sound! And they are busy people, give them as much of a power packed musical punch in that 30 seconds or more preview time you have to send to them in the first place!

My best advice in short is to make a mark on the producers to remember.. one they will never forget.. :) That's how they play out your tunes and over and over again! So for those and all wondering this, it is just this simple.. just simply develop your skills further, and send them something to their likings, thats unique into your own style and carries out the same style and similiar sort of sounds they put out as well. At least for labels! Otherwise for yourself just keep doing what you do best and unique! Labels and artists alike LOVEEE uniqueness and one thing is for certain, you dont want to keep hearing the same thing over and over again... as well that the fact of being unique alone is a complete catcher of a label or artists attentions!

Happy producing all! <3

I think it all depends on how you approach it and what your goals are. My advice is to set your targets on something and just work towards that. If you just want to release your music and thats it, i'd get sending the tunes to any label you can think of. If you want your tunes signed to 'good' or 'popular' (or however you want to phrase it) labels then i think you just have to get your music to a high enough calibre and it won't really matter whether anyone is playing it or not, in fact unheard music is a massive bonus for some labels.

As much as what Fletch has said certainly applies to some people i feel that there are also a lot of cases where its pretty irrelevant. Goldie doesn't give two shits if i'm playing a beat or not, if the tunes good he'll want it, and if its not or its not to his taste then he wont.

What he says about seeing yourself is a business is very important though. Think about the way you are portraying yourself as an artist, think about how people will perceive the way you market yourself. I know from experience that first impressions count and if you feel that your tunes aren't gonna come out on Shogun or Frictions not gonna play em, probably don't send them...

My thoughts anyway.

I think it all depends on how you approach it and what your goals are. My advice is to set your targets on something and just work towards that. If you just want to release your music and thats it, i'd get sending the tunes to any label you can think of. If you want your tunes signed to 'good' or 'popular' (or however you want to phrase it) labels then i think you just have to get your music to a high enough calibre and it won't really matter whether anyone is playing it or not, in fact unheard music is a massive bonus for some labels.

As much as what Fletch has said certainly applies to some people i feel that there are also a lot of cases where its pretty irrelevant. Goldie doesn't give two shits if i'm playing a beat or not, if the tunes good he'll want it, and if its not or its not to his taste then he wont.

What he says about seeing yourself is a business is very important though. Think about the way you are portraying yourself as an artist, think about how people will perceive the way you market yourself. I know from experience that first impressions count and if you feel that your tunes aren't gonna come out on Shogun or Frictions not gonna play em, probably don't send them...

My thoughts anyway.

Basically the image and name I am trying to create is more Menosance the producer rather than Menosance the DJ (although I won't say no to a couple of extra quid for a set but still it is not my aim) so basically I am aiming to get my music signed to labels and create a beautiful portfolio that I would love to one day have. That is why I am a bit wishy washy on this whole process. Yes, I knew from before I started producing that I am a business venture and Menosance is the brand (Not wishing to boast, but I come a business-minded family so trying to market myself isn't that hard) that I will portray. Also, I do have another problem is that in Malta, there is NO, let me repeat, NO local D&B scene. I am the only D&B producer in Malta and actually 1 of the 4 DJs that slightly do D&B sets (I'm the only one who specializes in techstep/dark/neuro stuff and also the other 3 don't do D&B constantly) so knowing how the local scene takes my track is quite irrelevant.

Definitely send them around. Just try and do your homework, and don't just send them to everyone. Last thing you want is to give it to a leaker, leaving your super duper tune worthless to a label. Put up clips on here and other production forums to to gage what everyone thinks too, then if you get a lot of love send them to labels

Definitely send them around. Just try and do your homework, and don't just send them to everyone. Last thing you want is to give it to a leaker, leaving your super duper tune worthless to a label. Put up clips on here and other production forums to to gage what everyone thinks too, then if you get a lot of love send them to labels

That is is what I'm actually doing. Posting them for in the new talents section to see if there are any small mistakes in my productions and to see how they are liked before sending out to labels. :D And it is working very well.

My best and real advice is to just keep your love alive completely and 100% no matter what, simple reason being, is that one day eventually you are going to be seen by anyone, huge or not... it will be recognized! simplest, realest, best advice from me personally brother! or sister! hahahaha but anyways yeah you get my point. I say your recipe for success towards this is listening to the majority here saying get your sounds fresh and up to par and what you love doing! And keep the love alive for damn sure! Its the love that counts truly, in the end it is truly, wholesomely 100% up to the other person to choose and pick. I've personaly as my artist sent a track to playaz that was PERFECT... but not necesarily up to their liking and/or style ... its all highly super selective. We as labels all want our own respective sounds and structures to that sound! ;) Hit me up with your sounds.

My best and real advice is to just keep your love alive completely and 100% no matter what, simple reason being, is that one day eventually you are going to be seen by anyone, huge or not... it will be recognized! simplest, realest, best advice from me personally brother! or sister! hahahaha but anyways yeah you get my point. I say your recipe for success towards this is listening to the majority here saying get your sounds fresh and up to par and what you love doing! And keep the love alive for damn sure! Its the love that counts truly, in the end it is truly, wholesomely 100% up to the other person to choose and pick. I've personaly as my artist sent a track to playaz that was PERFECT... but not necesarily up to their liking and/or style ... its all highly super selective. We as labels all want our own respective sounds and structures to that sound! ;) Hit me up with your sounds.

Thanks for the words. I took at your label's SC account. My sound is quite a lot different then your output.

Thanks for the words. I took at your label's SC account. My sound is quite a lot different then your output.

Ahh no problem buddy! all is well and gravy! keep up the good hard work, i'm going to look at your soundcloud anyways! I personally love all kinds of music brother! :) <3 release or not i'm gonna check you out! :carlton:

Back
Top Bottom