Sending projects online

Hello everyone,

I have recently been working on a tune with a mate. We've been working on it at mine mostly which isn't practical. He recently bought a mac with logic so we can work alone and collaborate. I gave him most of my samples (inc all we used in the tune) along with the project file. However when it comes to loading up the project there are endless issues with files "not found" etc despite them being on his hard drive in front of our eyes.

So what is the easiest most effective way of passing around a project? Thanks.

make sure that when you save your projects, logic is set to save all audio files in the project file. this option is in the dialog box the first time you save a new project. you shouldn't have to have the same sample library - it's not about have the sample saved on your hard drive, it's about having logic save everything in the project file/folder. then get yourselves a shared folder on dropbox and upload the whole project FOLDER (which will include several sub-folders, including on for all audio files) when you want to trade back and forth. if you have differing plug-ins, you will need to bounce anything that uses those plugins.

lostinthesound and i work together almost exclusively this way, with me in Denver and him in Washington DC - almost clear across the US. aside from one of us occasionally adding a new plugin without telling the other, we have had no problems at all.

Piggy backing off my production partner-in-crime, Dropbox is definitely the way to go. It's free, reliable, safe and gives you 2GB of space which is more than enough for a set of Logic files. Also, it's a good idea to get into the habit of clearing out (deleting) unnecessary audio files in your audio bin/project folder, as too many can take up unwanted space...as msmith222 knows, I've been guilty of this offense on more than one occasion :)

Cheers for the reply. Right so what would the deal be from scratch. So let's say I got a handful of drums and a Massive patch and midi arrangement that are on my comp only.

Cheers for the reply. Right so what would the deal be from scratch. So let's say I got a handful of drums and a Massive patch and midi arrangement that are on my comp only.

As long as your partner has Massive, then you won't have any problems. If he doesn't have Massive, then you will have to bounce that track down to an audio file or else he won't be able to hear the sounds produced by Massive.

Next you would go to "Save as." When the dialogue box opens, look at the bottom of the box at the options. You want to be sure to include audio files, exs samples and exs instruments, then save the file under a new name so you know that this is the last version of the file you worked on prior to sending it off to your partner.

Once that's done, locate the project file on your hard drive and copy/paste it to the shared folder you have setup with your partner on dropbox. Once it has uploaded, that's it. He'll be able to grab the folder from his end and download it to his hard drive. Once he's done, have him repeat the same process.

If you have any more questions, feel free to fire them off to us. Msmith222 have gotten Logic file transfers down to a science...after a bit of trial and error :) It definitely helps when both collaborators have the same synths/plugins.

As a sidenote, part of working with a partner is to clearly define ahead of time if there are any parts of the project you have grown attached to–whether it's a sample, an eq setting, sequence, whatever. Msmith222 and I make it a point to try not to grow attached to anything unless we feel it is absolutely essential to the tune. In those cases, we simply inform one another why to try to avoid editing and why we feel that it's essential. Keeping an open mind is the best approach and the best means to keep the creativity flowing.

Cheers.

Thanks boss. So by changing the project format it saves all samples within it too? So one project file will not only have the arrangement but the actual samples etc too?

Back
Top Bottom