Selling Out .........

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by EWOKS, Jun 9, 2010.

?

would you be a sell-out ... ???

1. yea for sure , id sell my azz for a new mountion bike

16 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. no chance.. i do my music for the love of it ..keep ya fame..im staying in me council flat.

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. EWOKS

EWOKS POTATOES GONNA POTATE

so , i see people like to jump on the bandwagon of hating the sell-outs ..

but would you sell out ... if so ... then stfu basically ..

and who wouldnt ? .. if someone approached you tommorrow, and said they like your skills, but told you to change a few things , and stop doing certain bits, basically telling you what to produce, whether it be hip-hop or dnb or whatever.. they say make a track like this , and they will give you fame & fortune, send you touring round the world, and you'll end up pretty fuckin rich, loads of birds, living it up in California, etc etc ... video on MTV ... the lot .. who wouldnt do it ...

you could still do your original shit on the side, and keep it to yourself.. if you wanna keep your creative roots.. so fuck it ..

whats the deal with calling people sell-out cunts ? jealousy no doubt..

anyone saying they wouldnt sell out are full of shit !!!!!

Sony rings you 2mo, and says make a tune like this, with this sample in it .. sounding like this, and come and do a cheesy video shoot for MTV and we will also give you 2 million quid and release the single next week ...

would you honestly say no ?? ... if not .. then stfu on the sell-out thing ..

dizzee rascal, pro green , dj I.Q , pendulum .. all could be seen as sell-outs. but who wouldnt?

i prefered all the above's music before they became 'sell-outs' , and think they shit now , but ...

i'd still do what they have done given half the chance ..

2. Joey AdhD

Joey AdhD sweaty scouser

dude this is exactly what i think, i hate the "oh fuck them, they sold out" i have said this before, if it was me i would be fuckin straight on the sellin out band wagon, make as much wedge as ya can then die.

thats why it does me head on i here with the fuck chase and status/pendulum etc, they have fuckin smashed the dnb scene hard, and moving on...good shout ethix.

3. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

i'd like to think i wouldn't sell out but hey, i need $ like the mute dude from how high.

if it was possible i would do the sell out stuff under an alias

4. Moskit

Moskit :rodigan: Staff Member

Depends on your level of passion & the genre you built your reputation in...

With the two examples you gave there Dizzee & Pendulum.

They both made their names in respective "underground" scenes with the quality of their initial output judged by said followers of those scenes as very good.

People only moan about selling out, if the output of these people deteriorates once they have "sold out" & in the case of the aforementioned, I think you would be lying if you didn't agree it had...

Its all opinion though innit, next man might prefer what they do now & would say more power to them.

I judge it all on the quality of material, if the process of selling out affects their material negatively, you can't blame people for moaning.

5. spiderfran286

spiderfran286 "Yes, squid pro roe..."

sell out. £$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£

6. jmzmaloney

jmzmaloney ENTHUSED WITH ETHNOGRAPHIC PLUNDERPHONICS Staff Member

I wouldnt sell out my asshole though.

7. EWOKS

as i said ...

"i prefered all the above's music before they became 'sell-outs' , and think they shit now , but ...
    i'd still do what they have done given half the chance .. "

pro greens old tracks were good before, ' i need you tonight ' .. I.Q. was producing for Jehst, Savvy , and all the other uk hiphop artists.. now hes changed his style completely for the radio ..

and its shitter ... but i think fair play to him .. ill still listen to his older stuff, knowing how talented he is .. same with dizzee ... good on em , diz worked like fuck to get where he is .. now doing award ceremonies and shit ... people call em sell-outs and pretend they wouldn't .. question i'm asking is .. if they would do exactly the same .. then stfu ...

and if they say they wouldn't ... i say buuuuuuuuuullshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.. i bet you can suck a golf ball down a garden hose

8. Moskit

Yeah fairplay, standardly...

It depends how much you love your music as to which way you'd go.

Integrity V Cash

Its the alltime question, doesn't just apply to music...

Music is an artform & some people choose to maintain their integrity & shun the fame & fortune, I say fairplay to them too & personally have alot more respect for them, the defining feature of a true artist in my humble opinion.

9. EWOKS

can you name a few that have turned down fame & fortune to carry on in their own tracks ? .. not that i don't believe you, i just didn't know many had turned down deals with Sony or whoever, to carry on doing what they want..

10. groelle

groelle Well-Known Member

i heard rumors saying dub fx denied quite a few offers from major music companys.

11. EWOKS

yea i heard that rumour about dizzee rascal.. then a year later he'd sold out .. i want facts

12. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

If we didnt live in a materialistic, capatalist society where money and celebrity culture is key, then the people who have "sold out" would still be producing good music.

In Soviet Russia, Music makes you

13. Moskit

I only know friends that have done this, mainly rappers & bands... Not on as grand a scale as any of your examples, but you know, keeping the integrity of what they do, over a few more grand & the label telling them what to put out.

I've got a close friend who is now signed to 31 Records, he produces the nicest minimal/atmospheric d&b & is super talented, he got alot of initial offers after Nookie/Doc Scott/London Elektricty started playing his tunes...

Alot of these offers were from labels that wanted something different out of him, he was skint as fuck at the time, but held out for the right time, carried on grinding & is now in avery nice place.

Sometimes integrity can also bring cash home, if you keep on keeping on, ya gets... ;)

14. Gloxxy

Gloxxy I SNORT COAL

Is that Sam KDC?

On a grand scale like the acts Ethix posted in his OP, the protagonists wanted to be well known and the only way to get well know is to make music that will appeal to a larger demographic than the "niche" scenes that they were in originally.

Sign for a major, release heartless shite and be comfortable for the rest of your life or retain your integrity, release 'quality' music and live on the bread line....................................if you have a family it's a no brainer really.

15. EWOKS

probs depends on ure background aswell, if you wanna escape your breadline ' ghetto ' life .. youd suck off Simon Cowel for 2's on his benson.

16. Moskit

Indeedy doody.

So talented & a nice guy to boot.

17. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

oooohhh, very well written moskit!

18. herojuana

herojuana hairy kuala

i would sell out, i have no doubt. and i don't hate on people cause they sell out, but i do feel alittle bit like:

[​IMG]

when they start making music that isn't half as good as they used to

19. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

[​IMG]

20. dnbkingz

dnbkingz bollocks

Yes i would.
    In an instant.