DnB Selecting Midi Keyboard

PreDistor

HPCL
It is important for me to have drum pads but they don't necessarily have to be integrated on the keyboard. Some midi keyboards like M-Audio Oxygen 61 have pads on the board. My question is that are they any good or should I aim standalone pads?

I'd personally get a small standalone pad, you'll no doubt get more flexibility plus you could stick it on your lap etc to where you were comfortable which wouldn't be easy with a 61!

Is Akai LPD8 for example good? I think that LPD stands for Laptop Pad but I am actually mostly using my desktop machine but i think that it doesn't matter really.

Last edited:
at the moment I'm between two keyboards -

Akai MPK49 and M-Audio Axiom 61 2nd Gen, and I just can't decide which one. One has more keys (and it is really important to me) but MPK49 reviews are written so well, I'm basically just "Here, take my money!".

i got the m audio 61 a couple years ago and its fine. but i don't need 61 keys. really been wanting the akai 49. just looked up their site and they have a new 49 key model coming soon check it out...

max49_angle_web_large.png

http://www.akaipro.com/max49

[video=youtube_share;WJfS0aQ9G1g]http://youtu.be/WJfS0aQ9G1g[/video]

God, I think that at the moment is Akai marketing working on me because I'm changing my mind and going with Akai, even though they have less keys but well I guess since I'm producing Drum and Bass not composing classical piano music, then I don't need so many keys... or maybe it is just my excuse to buy Akai :P.

What is the point with buying a midi keyboard, do they somehow generate better synth sounds? Or is it to have the keyboard to play on so you can use it to create music better.

Because i cant see the logic of why it's good and useful if you can play on your normal computer keyboard.

(not trying to be a dick, just trying to understand so i can learn and improve)

It kind of sucks playing a mini tiny keyboard lol.. knobs and faders make your music better duh! Jordans make you jump higher to, but you already know that lol!!

I like my 49 but would rather have a 25 these days.

I've owned the MPK49 and the Axiom Pro 49, and I now have the Axiom 2nd gen 61 (non pro).

Really disliked the general feel of the MPK, didn't like the key action etc. Also remember having connectivity issues or the like, had usb 3.0 on the old pc. So it got returned rather quickly. The Axiom Pro was nice, and I liked most things about it (except the faders, horrible ones) but it got sold when I needed money for a trip to India. The control suface on it that mapped to the daw wasn't really useful.

I like the new Axiom too, and I don't experience too much of a difference compared to the last one. I don't really use the pads (have a Maschine). A long term goal for me is to learn how to play proper piano (the reason for the big keyboards). I'd also rather have more keys than I need than less when it comes down to it.

So the Axioms are pretty solid imo, but most of the m-audio stuff seems well liked.

Outside of M-Audios keyboards, i am not a fan..

By the way, every single fader and knob still works a treat on my Axiom (after 8 years).. I have heard of people having problems though. And like above ^ when it comes down to it, your gonna wanna learn the keys man, eventually..

What is the point with buying a midi keyboard, do they somehow generate better synth sounds? Or is it to have the keyboard to play on so you can use it to create music better.

Because i cant see the logic of why it's good and useful if you can play on your normal computer keyboard.

(not trying to be a dick, just trying to understand so i can learn and improve)
Difference between playing on the regular typing keyboard and real piano model midi is huge. First thing is the feeling, it's all about the feeling! Secondly it's semi-weighted - if i press my piano note hard, then sound comes out harder/louder, when I press it softly, then it comes out softly/quieter. When you press notes on the computer keyboard then it doesn't matter how hard or softly you press, sound is still the same (At least in FL Studio). Why pianists use pianos when giving concerts? They can do it as-well with computer, using DAW, VST and computer keyboard...

Back
Top Bottom