Drum & Bass Seeking Help For DnB Production

Discussion in 'Production' started by iDesolate, Apr 22, 2012.

1. iDesolate

iDesolate New Member

hey guys i'm completely new here, just registered to the forums hoping I gain alot of knowledge from you guys. I am clueless on how to produce Drum N Bass, I do not know where to start at all, I have Ableton Live + Massive, don't know a thing, I'm looking for somebody to point me in the right direction on how to produce DnB basslines, beats, how to produce on a whole DnB track, techniques, anything pretty much guys. I love Drum N Bass and I want to learn how I can express my taste for my DnB:) Please don't flame me for not knowing anything, please only post if you have useful knowledge and can guide me in the right path, thanks, highly appriciated if somebody helps me out

2. Phenlight

Phenlight New Member

You tube has loads of tutorials so you can get the feel of your software.

3. iDesolate

iDesolate New Member

yeah i've been watching dubspot tuts lately but there is nothing on producing an actual drum n bass beat fx etc. could you link me some vids? appriciate it homie

4. Attire

Attire Last Winter

Search for them.
    Seriously its the hands down best way to learn when you're a beginner, yeah there might be crap ones or some that you don't quite understand just yet, but watching as man as you can will definitely set you on the right direction.
    Once you hit a specific problem, search the forum as 9 times out of 10 it will have been asked

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  5. ApeCat

ApeCat Human Dubplate

It's sort of like learning how to draw, start off "tracing" stuff, listen to tunes you like and make you wanna make something similar, then go ahead and make something similar, read and watch tutorials when you're stuck and watch tuts for stuff you don't understand, about EQ'ing, compressors and arrangement and later when you have some kind of musical epiphany it'll all come back to you in an "Ahaaaa!!" moment and you'll feel awesome.

6. Committed_Sin

Committed_Sin Committed Sin DNB

7. Altodnb.

Altodnb. AltoDnB

8. cptunicorn

cptunicorn Member

scan through the 'production' section

9. nr.williams12

nr.williams12 New Member

Hey man, I must say that the best way (like a few people have said before) is to just watch videos, read articles, and do anything you can to teach it to yourself. After a while of watching and trying to mimic some techniques on your own it really helps. Honestly I've been going at the same thing your about to get into for a month now and I'm still a complete newb at this production stuff, but there is really something to be said about that feeling that you get when really understand something and can use it in a track. So my advice, watch as many tutorials as you can and then build off of it and learn even more!

10. cohma101

cohma101 Member

Producing any kind of music is going to have a huge learning curve. Ive only been doing it for about a year, and I find its just like painting (which I also do). You never really get to the end. You're always learning. Asking how to produce drum and bass is like asking how to paint the mona lisa. Start small with some tuts and articles and like ApeCat was saying, you get to a point where you actually start to "get it". I call those artistic clicks, and its great when they happen. The point is to enjoy creating.

11. Phat_Sam

Phat_Sam Well-Known Member

Fuck sake. Can we not just sticky the thing I wrote the other day? Sorry to the OP for hijackin this thread but jesus. I see the same questions asked on here constantly and generally they always get the same answer. Logikz... can we get a "How to start up in production" thread stickied please?

Fuck it... I'm doing one now...

---------- Post added at 03:04 ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 ----------

http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php/...o-get-started-in-Music-Production-quot-Thread

12. The Riot Act!

The Riot Act! New Member

Google Tom Cosm, get a pro membership (cheap like $10) for a month. Download all his videos, he has a 10 part series on production with Ableton. Not into DnB but his stuff really helps you with the basics of Ableton.

13. Freek

Freek Lets get freeeeeeky

Or just use the free ones available on youtube from some of the top producers in dnb lol!

14. Emphonic

Emphonic New Member

You can get some really helping tips from scretch to advenced ones on MasterClass channel on youtube.

Also SoundOnSound magazine is really big help.

Some tutorials can be found also on Musicradar.com