Second handed turntables

ilovelondon

Call me Jens.
VIP Junglist
A mate from my class (plays minimal) said recently that he's quite scared of buying technics secondhanded, because lots of people temper with it. He said something about changing something pitch control related (?) with a screwdriver, and then he would have to set it back right and all, and that this would take him hours to get it back right.

I don't know what the fuck he's talking about (could be something else than pitch though, it's been a while that he was talking about this), since i don't own decks myself to play on. Would want to get some in the future though. But just curious about this atm.

Do you think he's talking about tempering with the pitch so that it doesn't stay lineair? Or is he just bullshitting at 100 mph?

Also, what's the quartz spec on decks? Is it something to lock the pitch, so it stays lineair? I'm just guessing here, lol.

Don't know shit about all this, so please enlighten me with all your turntable wisdom.

I'm sure this is plausible, but there's no logical reason why someone would tamper with the decks like that - what would they gain from it?

A mate from my class (plays minimal) said recently that he's quite scared of buying technics secondhanded, because lots of people temper with it. He said something about changing something pitch control related (?) with a screwdriver, and then he would have to set it back right and all, and that this would take him hours to get it back right.

I don't know what the fuck he's talking about (could be something else than pitch though, it's been a while that he was talking about this), since i don't own decks myself to play on. Would want to get some in the future though. But just curious about this atm.

Do you think he's talking about tempering with the pitch so that it doesn't stay lineair? Or is he just bullshitting at 100 mph?

Also, what's the quartz spec on decks? Is it something to lock the pitch, so it stays lineair? I'm just guessing here, lol.

Don't know shit about all this, so please enlighten me with all your turntable wisdom.

Lots of mods you can do on Technics.

Change the pitch range
Remove the click on the pitch fader
Remove the 0% when the green light is on

An a quartz lock sets your turntable back to 0%, basicly just a quick way of going back to 0% pitch without having to move the fader.

cheers scotty. My amount of knowledge is getting bigger ;)

Is it possible then that you're mixing, and get it synced (really synced) but after a few seconds it's gone off beat again? And i mean not by not doing the beatmatch good enough, the pitch is 100% correct, and still it goes off beat. Could this be the case when you're buying them second handed? Because this is what i think this guy said his fear of second handed technics was...

Back
Top Bottom