Seba - Mesmerism EP (Secret Operations) Out March 10th

808 Dnb

VIP Junglist
Holy FUCK....

SECOPS020Bundle_lrg.jpg

Bundle SWAG... http://www.surus.co.uk/Secret-Operations/Mesmerism-EP-Bundle-24208.aspx

Last edited:
Well, shit. Another couple of plates that I need to buy now. Mesmerism is a fucking choon and a half.

Yep this sounds very good from start to finish.

"Mesmerism" dubbed out number I'd expect from someone like d-bridge/amit but not seba.
"Physikl" sounds Lynx inspired which's not a bad thing!
"Life is" Seba as we all know him from his chilled & deep side.
"Science Fiction" sounds like Seba on headz.

great variety. I am impressed!

is this a 2 x 12" then? siiick.

1 x SECOPS020A
1 x SECOPS020B

2x12'' is what people usually call an EP format in one package but these are two seperate 12''s if I understood the description on surus correctly.

Science Fiction is deep. Love it.

I've been hearing Mesmerism on a lot of mixes. I really like it as well. Seba can do it all.

Seba is a fantastic producer, all these tunes are so different yet so so well made. Science Fiction & Life Is are the ones for me here, will bag the whole release though

Ordered both records; Mesmerism and Science Fiction are the ones for me, really excited to be enjoying these so much, kind of parted company with his music a year or two ago, have at least one copy of every single Secret Operations release and the vast bulk of everything else he's done bar the stuff since that Physics collab. Felt he'd kind of lost the knack he used to have of reining in his melodic excesses with that dark and breaky counterpoint he used to be the absolute master of, but this is a proper return to form IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Need him to do more stuff with Paradox asap, they're both so much better when they're working together IMO.

Ah it was a bit "phoned-in" but melodically it sounded just like him really. Main issue I have with his more epic stuff is how clean some of it is, and how close it gets to the sort of overwrought manipulative sweetness of Trance. His best tunes were always the ones where he got the balance right and used his undeniable feel for melody to turn a dark angry drum track into something much greater than the sum of its parts, and he seems to be right back on peak form for now on the basis of this release anyway.

It was his best tune as of late and one of the best tunes of 2013. Period.

That's like your opinion, man. It was pure cheese. Stadium dnb made for people with funny haircuts. The melody was obnoxious. I guess I can see how people would like it, but Seba's best stuff is all about balance. There was no balance to that tune. "Life is" is a much better example of melodic Seba IMO.

I've always genuinely wondered why everyone seems to label any kind of likeable melody automatically as cheesy. Or more precisely why should it be considered a bad thing. That tune is a masterpiece in terms of balance...melody, rhytm parts and bass all joining together absolutely seamlessly, creating a perfect smooth vibe which is very rare these days. I get it that you might not like such stuff and you can dislike the melody, but it's a great tune and it's definitely not "cheesy" (at least in the demeaning kind of way). None of his recent stuff achieved such perfection in terms of production value.

And just for the record my favourite Seba is Don't You Love Me Anymore / Keep Me Waiting and this EP is great.

I've always genuinely wondered why everyone seems to label any kind of likeable melody automatically as cheesy. Or more precisely why should it be considered a bad thing. That tune is a masterpiece in terms of balance...melody, rhytm parts and bass all joining together absolutely seamlessly, creating a perfect smooth vibe which is very rare these days. I get it that you might not like such stuff and you can dislike the melody, but it's a great tune and it's definitely not "cheesy" (at least in the demeaning kind of way). None of his recent stuff achieved such perfection in terms of production value.

And just for the record my favourite Seba is Don't You Love Me Anymore / Keep Me Waiting and this EP is great.

I love melodies, bro. I probably play more melodic dnb than anything. There's a definite line between quality and cheesy though.

Back
Top Bottom