Scripts, moodmaps and storyboards

mykeythemusic

I've started to do this more and more lately. If I have a play with a synth or sketch a little tune and it has a certain vibe or characteristic I want to maintain or expand on. I'll set a theme and workout how I want the tune to be. Making a mood-map like this helps me stay on track and gives me a clear picture of what I want.
If I have voice over stuff, like the pilots in this one I'll also write a script and record it. And a story board to sort of draw out when the breaks kick in, when the bass kicks in and how the bass should impact. Basically little comics of the tunes development.
Does anyone else do this? I'm finding it's helping me take my productions where I want them to be.

1z4xzyt.png

Track start for mood map below -

Indeed interesting... I'd love to see a storyboard/comic/picturebook together with a tune. Got any examples easy to show?
But no, not really. Although most of the time I do think about the vibe and atmosphere. Mostly when I'm creating an intro and picking pads/background stuff or when I'm picking a song name (which is difficult as fuck). That is the first impression of the track and I want to set the right mood, or the right 'setting' of the track, what they can expect

I pretty much always have a "muse" of some kind when I'm writing, don't have the attention span to do anything as structured as that when writing music tho lol I just lay it all down fast as I can, if I spent time developing anything like that I'd loose myself in it and forget about the music

been writing scripts allot recently tho, and I do that when I'm writing to keep me on track, def helps to have some visual cues to keep things moving

I'd love to see a storyboard/comic/picturebook together with a tune. Got any examples easy to show?

Ahh haha I use the term storyboard and comic loosely, it's solely a 'practical' storyboard I guess. Very sketchy in it's design but reminds me of what is meant to go where and when. On that notion though I do have had talks with friends about releasing the EP I'm working on as a vinyl with a comic/artwork for people to engage with as the music plays. Make it more of an event/package

I think the idea stems from me having great ideas about song development and events throughout the track that a list just doesn't seem to capture! Like the mood-map, I'll spend half an hour on google images just picking stuff I think is relevant to set the tone of the song. I always write notes as well but A4 pages of just poorly written ideas tend not to hold their place on my desk for too long. ^^

Back
Top Bottom