Scratching

mistasfx

MISTA SFX
VIP Junglist
First off no dis-respect to anyone that can do it coz i think its one them things u either can do it or u cant but....

How fucking boring and dated does it sound now?

Soon as i hear a DJ scratch i instantly think 'oh fuckin meh, wheres the bar'

Thoughts?

Does it still have a place in todays music?

Sounds wicked if done correctly, sounds shite if you're not very good at it, or over do it too much.

Is it really fresh tho??

DJs been caining the same patterns for years now and only die hard scratchers notice any changes or techniques.

I just think it sounds boring and dated now. It certainly doesnt go well with dnb. Hypes scratching aint exactly the most difficult either. Meh

Done well, and not for long, it sounds sick.

Key is not for long, i dont want to hear 3 minutes of scratching, a quick 10 seconds every hour is fine and compliments a mix well if theyre any good.

smarty posted this in another thread, the vibes when markys scratching are too much!

so yeah, sounds sick when done right

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can nail the Chirp, which is like pattin ya head and rubbing your belly it sounds nice...marky has never progressed with his scratching...sorry but turning a turntable upside down is just silly...he blew the roof off at homelands 2003...that was some bad boy scratchin over Zinc-Elevate.

I do like this thread.

Bought a scratchplate once, pretty much sat unused after I cained my way through a load of needles.

Scratching over dnb is pretty overrated IMO.
Havent seen anyone do it in a club for an age either...

This argument is invalid, look at where sctraching has gone, no just about going "wikki wikki" haha any more.

its evolved bro

This argument is invalid, look at where sctraching has gone, no just about going "wikki wikki" haha any more.

its evolved bro

yeah its evolved into a button pushing dmc hybrid but ure missing the point.

Not on about DMC scratching, on bout doing it over music

I can understand where you're coming from over the music, personally I love it, when it's done tastefully, but it can be horrific if over done or done badly. I think that dance music in general has never really been the musical medium that scratching is really suited to. Over hip hop it sounds wicked. That being said, I think with all this new technology out there that someone will start to think outside the box a little and may have the skills and the ingenuity to actually make it sound sick! I loved that whole jungle drummer and Dj FU thing. I think that we just need to wait and see what happens.

Also, figured I'd post this for some pure genius scratch vibes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP-86de-oUA

Just scratching to make actual scratching noises rarely sounds good over d&b if you ask me. But if you do it tastefully and using vocal snatches rather than just scratch samples it can be EPIC. Playing about with the breakdown of Calibre Ft. DRS- Loves to Tight to Mention over other tunes, looping and scratching it, can sound sick for example. Or use some of the clean vocal bars in The Cut Deepens to hype people up before you actually mix the tune in.

scratching and some beat juggling always sounds good when done correctly

but id rather hear scratching on some hip hop or something a bit slower than dnb

Yeah the patterns that get used are old hat, and it does sound dated as a result. I also don't get it over modern dnb beats, it sounded a bit more rad with more spaced out amen style breaks. I saw Ratty tear the fucking roof off a gig in about 2000, scratching at only the right times.

Best thing I ever saw was Greg Packer playing an old-skool hardcore set, scratching a record in and then, bang, dropping it into the mix right on the beat, live, no room for fuck-ups. Lovely.

Back
Top Bottom