Scratching

osmosis

Sup bruvaass,

I'm wanting to add a bit extra to my sets with some scratching and was wondering if:

a) anyone has got any tips for learning cause doing it off youtube is well 'ard and I'm not getting anywhere
b) anyone in the bristol area want to teach me, I'll pay :teeth:

My mate is sick at scratching and tried teaching me.. takes so much time and practice tho man, found i kept trying to do it got fucked off then ended up just having a mix! plus u need a decent mixer or you will go through crossfaders like theres no tommorow. Vestax mixers are good for it

I bet it does, but I was hoping I could just get some of the basics :)
Yea I've already fucked mine :P need to reinforce it or something

scratching in dnb is overrated

this. absolutely. if youd start to fucking scratch over a tune id love to hear id throw my fucking beer at you and get myself another one to throw that at you aswell. lol.

seriously. if you want to do something extraordinaire, learn to beatjuggle, mix on 3 to x decks, implement live producing, whatever you want. but if you want do scratch, do hiphop please!

this. absolutely. if youd start to fucking scratch over a tune id love to hear id throw my fucking beer at you and get myself another one to throw that at you aswell. lol.

seriously. if you want to do something extraordinaire, learn to beatjuggle, mix on 3 to x decks, implement live producing, whatever you want. but if you want do scratch, do hiphop please!

how do you do beatjuggling in dnb?

When its done well its fucking immense, tones of artists do it Marky, Scratch Perverts, Hype, Dirtyphonics. To me it highlights their skill as it is fucking difficult to do.

Sooooo you got to start from somewhere and I may sound turd now but give me a year and it could be listenable :)

Also my lady friends don't understand what skill there is in mixing where as they do with scratching.

Also my lady friends don't understand what skill there is in mixing where as they do with scratching.

just let them try it then? theyd understand in a second. and on another note, get some intelligent friends would solve the problem aswell :D

beatjuggling - you could use 2 copies of the same tune and juggle between them? dunno how that could be different from doing it in hiphop? same principle??

and i know that tons of people are doing it, doesnt make it right imo. hype always uses the same scratch routine, after having heard it for 3 times its enough. scratch perverts started out like that and marky takes the turntables on his fucking arms and scratches.

regarding id put you more into the hype area, id say do it at home, leave it from gigs. imo etc of course and so on.

Unless your REALLY good at it, i definately recomend leaving it out of sets. Its fun to learn, im trying to teach myself at the moment (not doing amazingly well i might add).

Helps to have good inspiration, this video was mine:

(play from 1:15)

[video=youtube_share;KdgTZ5A-zog]http://youtu.be/KdgTZ5A-zog?t=1m7s[/video]

Me no understand, scratch plates?

If you are using turntables (which quite frankly you should be) ! you can get 'scratch plates ( vinyl) that has 100's of scratch samples on it such as beats and voice samples. Allsorts really, I would reccomend buying one of these to get you started

If you are using turntables (which quite frankly you should be) ! you can get 'scratch plates ( vinyl) that has 100's of scratch samples on it such as beats and voice samples. Allsorts really, I would reccomend buying one of these to get you started

This

I would recomend the Qubert anti-skip ones tho, as when your starting the needle will probably be all over the place until you get the right feel for it.

Also try Youtube for video tuturials, there are some really good ones on there I will post up when I get home. I think theres a site called DJtuturials as well which have step by step guides for pretty much every technique.

Be prepared to spend a lot of time practising tho as I've been told its even more difficult than learning to dj all over again.

This

I would recomend the Qubert anti-skip ones tho, as when your starting the needle will probably be all over the place until you get the right feel for it.

Also try Youtube for video tuturials, there are some really good ones on there I will post up when I get home. I think theres a site called DJtuturials as well which have step by step guides for pretty much every technique.

Be prepared to spend a lot of time practising tho as I've been told its even more difficult than learning to dj all over again.

Yeah definately.

I got Superseal and its doing me well.

My thinking is that any 16 year-old kid from Bristol can beatmatch etc but scratching is a next level, when I play out I'd love to be able to add it in, imo it makes you look a lot better but it depends on your music, if its just an unnecessary addition then lowe it. That video just makes it look so sick!!

hyperd4eva: yea man I bought super seal 2 off discogs to have me a go :)

try DJ Angelo's tutorials on youtube. most youtube vids are really wack, but his are good. granted everythings from a hiphop turntablists POV, his stuff is still good anyway. and he's just a sick dj.

scratching sounds sick over the right tunes, when hype does it over some grimey jumpup roller it gets the crowd going

Back
Top Bottom