Scrapheaper- Invention in B minor [Experimental Dubstep]

The sub seems a bit lost to me. The thing is that the track is building up for something but nothing happens. I feel that it needs something more, something which makes the listener bounce (if you know what I mean). Variation is nicely done, although I would reduce the usage of the whining synth but that is just me, other people might like it the way it is. The rest is all well and fine. :)

Sorry, if I sounded that I am ripping your hard work apart :/

Mmmmm Dubstep...
Okay, in terms of composition... As far as I know, get rid of the sub in some parts... such as during the buildup, a build up does not need the sub if there's a rolling kick drum, it will make just a mess in the lower end and when you reach the climax, it's not going to sound very impactful. Also I say you need alot more FX like risers and crashes and things like that..
Kick needs major sidechain compression on the sub, it's like becoming one with the sub bass almost every time it hits
I'm not liking the sound design... I know its experimental but it's kinda cringe worthy a bit... ;w;
If you want to keep the sound design, maybe you could do some extreme sidechaining to make the whole track pump
It's kinda like how Seven Lions would do it. Every time the Kick or snare hits, everything kinda drops in volume and the rises back up on the off beat. It makes the track just pump, ya know? I think it would really make this track sound cool
Anyway that's about all I can say, keep up the good work tho~ : >

The sub seems a bit lost to me. The thing is that the track is building up for something but nothing happens. I feel that it needs something more, something which makes the listener bounce (if you know what I mean). Variation is nicely done, although I would reduce the usage of the whining synth but that is just me, other people might like it the way it is. The rest is all well and fine. :)

Sorry, if I sounded that I am ripping your hard work apart :/

Thanks for your feedback.
- Sub being lost is possible seeing as I have no monitors. I can hear subs, it's just hard to judge their level properly.
-I know what you mean by a continuous build up, but it's something that's not necessarily a bad thing: it happens a lot in house tracks, especially the more minimal ones.
- A few people have mentioned the whiny triangle wave synth: it seems to be a bit controversial. I like it, but maybe it's just me. :D

Mmmmm Dubstep...
Okay, in terms of composition... As far as I know, get rid of the sub in some parts... such as during the buildup, a build up does not need the sub if there's a rolling kick drum, it will make just a mess in the lower end and when you reach the climax, it's not going to sound very impactful. Also I say you need alot more FX like risers and crashes and things like that..
Kick needs major sidechain compression on the sub, it's like becoming one with the sub bass almost every time it hits
I'm not liking the sound design... I know its experimental but it's kinda cringe worthy a bit... ;w;
If you want to keep the sound design, maybe you could do some extreme sidechaining to make the whole track pump
It's kinda like how Seven Lions would do it. Every time the Kick or snare hits, everything kinda drops in volume and the rises back up on the off beat. It makes the track just pump, ya know? I think it would really make this track sound cool
Anyway that's about all I can say, keep up the good work tho~ : >
I do have some sidechaining on the kick and snare, but i did it quite early on and then did a lot of tweaking. I didn't want the drums to dominate too much: this is supposed to be about lots of equal but different elements working together, rather than being focused only on the drums and bass. Still, I think some more obvious sidechaining might help the loudness, maybe if I can be bothered I will go back and tweak.
I will highpass the bass during build ups, hopefully that should help.
Sound design was not supposed to be especially experimental: I just wanted to make 4 contrasting synths to play my melodies. No offence, but can you be a bit more specific about why you don't like it?

Last edited:
The sound design sounds dry, there's not a lot of reeverb or much of anything to help it blend. It's also pretty high end heavy in terms of tone over all, and it makes it pretty unconformable to listen to. The lower end does balance it out, but I feel like overall the it could be less.. harsh? I'm also not a big fan of the long tones, which I guess has to do more with composition than sound design. There isn't much variation in terms of rhythm, and it's just the same synths holding out long notes over a beat. Maybe adding some drop out points to change it up a bit or something.. I'm not really sure. I'm sorry if you don't see me as qualified for input, but that's just what I think. If anything, some light high passed reeverb would definitely help.

Back
Top Bottom