scales question

Eternaloptimist

VIP Junglist
ez all
i have a question.i was told by someone that i should write my chords in harmoonic scales,my leads in melodic scales and my basslines in natural scales
does anyone work this way?
i know there is no right or wrong in music.

IMO too many people get hung up on music theory. electronic music is the type of music that is furthest removed from theory. If you have a good ear it will do the theory for you by telling you what sounds good. If not, learn the circle of fifths, major/minor scales, and that's probably enough for electronic. Electronic is more about noises and rhythm than notes.

to answer your question: no i dont work that way. I dont pay attention to scales. I place notes and then move them til i like how they sound. if your ear cant do that for you then write the whole tune in one scale. keep it simple. focus on production quality and good noises/sounds/ etc as that is more valued in electronic.

IMO too many people get hung up on music theory. electronic music is the type of music that is furthest removed from theory. If you have a good ear it will do the theory for you by telling you what sounds good. If not, learn the circle of fifths, major/minor scales, and that's probably enough for electronic. Electronic is more about noises and rhythm than notes.

to answer your question: no i dont work that way. I dont pay attention to scales. I place notes and then move them til i like how they sound. if your ear cant do that for you then write the whole tune in one scale. keep it simple. focus on production quality and good noises/sounds/ etc as that is more valued in electronic.

While I agree that it's easy to become hung up on music theory, it's still important to at least have an understanding of scales, majors/minors and chord types as it's what creates the "mood" of the track. While it's certainly not mandatory to memorize every note within a scale, it's certainly helpful to know where these notes are on a keyboard as well as what notes consist of a specific chord. To add, understanding a scale properly helps you to create original sequences, creative arpeggios and the all important lead.

Going back to the O.P., it is possible to do it this way. However, it depends on several factors such as the specific "mode" of the scales you're using. Combining different scales can sometimes create a dissonant sound, which may or may not be what you're after.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom