Saving samples/drum synthesis

Nutek

movement junglist
VIP Junglist
i've just stumbled upon the wonderful world of drum synthesis and i am currently making kick drums to create my own sound collection for production, my question is, what "format" do i save these samples as? i'm using fruity loops and noticed that when i save a wav it creates "loop points" and cannot change the pitch of the sample. i could of course just save the sounds as mp3 but it would be a compromise on the quality..

any help appreciated!

thedjnifty

VIP Junglist
I've always been really interested in this ...

How the fuck do you actually create your own drum samples from scratch?

I can understand kick drums can be made using sine waves for example but how do you make the sound of a standard snare from scratch?!

moriaty

VIP Junglist
same principle really. get your sine with pitch envelope, and instead of playing the note around 50 hz, try 150-200. then add a bit of filtered noise, and you should get a decent result

Last edited:

Nutek

movement junglist
VIP Junglist
what i couldn't work out is why only the wave files i saved showed up with loop points and not "pitch adjustable", oh well it's not too much effort unticking a couple of boxes.. i guess :teeth:

thedjnifty

VIP Junglist
same principle really. get your sine with pitch envelope, and instead of playing the note around 50 hz, try 150-200. then add a bit of filtered noise, and you should get a decent result
Will it not just sound like a sine wave with a bit of filtered noise layered? lol

groelle

VIP Junglist
no, cause while the sinewave slaps in, the pitch envelope makes it sounds like its going up, like shhhhhhheeeeeeeaaaaawww. now you got to put that envelope so short it forms the s into a T and the hhhheaaaw into the tail, so you got a sound like TSH. + layered noise => TSHH = "perfect" snare..

^^^^ haha :D

moriaty

VIP Junglist
no, cause while the sinewave slaps in, the pitch envelope makes it sounds like its going up, like shhhhhhheeeeeeeaaaaawww. now you got to put that envelope so short it forms the s into a T and the hhhheaaaw into the tail, so you got a sound like TSH. + layered noise => TSHH = "perfect" snare..

^^^^ haha :D
(y):uberlaugh

RevTech

Butthole=output transduce
VIP Junglist
i know most people layer white noise on a snare im sure a little work could make a more realistic sounding snare out of white noise ?
I do this myself. It's not too hard, can even be made with 3x osc. I think combining actual snare samples with homemade snare samples are real nice actually.

funkmod

VIP Junglist
I do this myself. It's not too hard, can even be made with 3x osc. I think combining actual snare samples with homemade snare samples are real nice actually.
as long as it sounds good sure why not . Also found a little white noise over a kick drum to tie the snare and kick together works nicely but only a a very little amount.

Protoplasym

Nuskool
VIP Junglist
OP,

Wavs ftw.

What software are you using? There are lots of quality free Drum Synths around, but once you're ready to play with the best, slap down $90 for uTonic (best Drum VSTi in existence for price, fun factor, sound, capability, and ease of use).