Saving CPU with Mac (logic)

JungleFever

VIP Junglist
How do I save CPU my mac is so slow now it cant even open logic :S I have deleted so many samples and its still really slow, I know I should buy an external Hard drive but I cant afford, So I have been deleting shit like crazy, Does anyone know if I need .html documents, as i have thousands ?!

tips:

Get monolingual: it deletes other languages yourl never use I saved .8 of a gb of space!
app stopper is also ok
onyx ive downloaded and is apparently good but I cant open it.

Anyone else have any tips on freeing up space?

if youve got 10% of your harddrive free then deleating more wont make your computer much quicker.

have you tried cleaning it physically? like getting rid of dust?

Buy some compressed air from pc work or wherever. Open your CPU and blast out all the dust, check the fans in particular. Just be carefully to hold the can upright as If it's upside down then it can spray out some moisture. I recon this'll make a big difference, let us know if youve still got proba after this.

ye nice idea mate now u said that i think its is the fans cos it gets very hot very fast.. do you think a hoover will do the same effect lol

No, a can of compressed air is much better than a hoover. Dont use compressed air when the computer is on, as it will induce very rapid cooling, and if the computer is hot, this cooling can cause damage to components.

By the way, how does cleaning it, or deleting files make it go faster? Perhaps some actual sense would be better. If its getting hot, thats very likely cos you are using up the full CPU. You should check what is actually using the cpu, perhaps there are things running in the background that you can disable. You can get a list of the top processes hogging the cpu by running Aplications/Utilities/Terminal and typing top -o cpu
This should show you whats eating up the cpu. Paste the top few rows in here.

Other ideas are to disable spotlight (which performs periodic indexing, which is very disk intensive). Google that.

If you have crappy amounts of RAM, an upgrade there can show big improvement (most noticibly when changing between apps, but in general everything is nicer with more RAM).

Deleting .html files will proably not cause any problems, nor will it improve the speed by a measurable amount.

From the way people go on I thought macs' never get ill no need doctor all day happy time :D

There is a freeze function in logic! Google it! It's used a lot by people who don't have a lot of CPU. It freezes a track (you can't edit it anymore, unless you unfreeze) and takes no CPU.

@Innovine

In terminal do i type "top -o cpu" ? I might give this a go once i get back to my macbook (i use a pc in the studio) as its been a little slow recently. Cheers for the tips.

check your audio configuration in logic, especially core audio driver. there you can reduce the number of audio tracks, if you don´t need them. this will not save cpu power, but a lot of ram during a session.

thanks :) My mac is still fucked and has actually gotten worse believe it or not! does anyone know anything about corrupt files or a corrupt hard drive.. As I download certain effects etc illegally do you think this has a nasty effect on my hard drive and can really fuck it up? :( I havnt been able to make music in weeks :'(

thanks :) My mac is still fucked and has actually gotten worse believe it or not! does anyone know anything about corrupt files or a corrupt hard drive.. As I download certain effects etc illegally do you think this has a nasty effect on my hard drive and can really fuck it up? :( I havnt been able to make music in weeks :'(

Have you done a HDD scan using the utilities?

thanks il try that when im home :)

---------- Post added at 21:45 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

and no i dont but fuck it i dont think there good enuf yet anyways

First off, it would help to know what kind of mac this is?
Good point on turning spotlight off. Also try disabling dashboard while your at it.
Change the dock from 3d to 2d( much easier on the eyes imho)
Change minimize effect to scale i believe.
Set colors to thousands on display under preferences.
Basically remove useless eye candy that could add to your systems resources.
Use Onyx to perform some of the tasks mentioned above.
Also make sure to repair permissions and run scripts.
Make sure to restart the system after all this.
If all else fails then perhaps a good old fashioned backup and reinstallation of osx should do the trick.

As someone mentioned earlier, while running your daw, make sure that other apps are closed and that airport is turned off.

Back
Top Bottom