Save my CPU, save the world - Methodology

Busdriver

Hi all

Asking myself what's your personal method to save your computer performances when producing.
I explain myself:

I'm currently working on a track with 11 audio channels 4 midi channels with an instrument on each one and 23 insert effects (i use cubase) an 1 send effect. Moreover, i use 3 automations.

Now, i have craqueling noise on background, i suppose it comes from a computer performances overload.
I give you back my hardware:
Q9950/2gig ddr3@ 1333mhz/E-mu 1820 soundcard.
I have to say that when i check my perfs on my task manager it don't exceed 12% of cpu usage and 900Mb of Pf usage.
(If somebody can explain me why my daw make me hear that i'm overworking my computer and my computer tell me that everything is ok...)

SO

What's your method?
Do you export everything you do as little pieces and put them together in another project page? Do you work with standalone synth when you can? Are your projects ending with only audio channels in them?
I mean if i do an automation with some effects let's say on a midi channel, should i export the result, re-import it in audio and then delete the original midi channel with all it's automation and effects in order to save my computer performances?

Thanks

modern DAW have the option to freeze (bounce to audio single tracks with all their FX to save power). First u could try. Do u have the noise in the background the whole bounced wav or only single locations, 23 inserts, one send effect, doenst sound like a good ratio, fx like reverb i make send effect for most tracks. I only use fx to finetune my sounds. fx over fx over fx... yields at some point noise :) But ur hardware looks pretty powerful.

work in audio as often as possible...
bouncing parts constantly.. saves cpu..
and working in audio is fast...

Your hardware is fine, apart from maybe the ram. What OS are you using?
As for bouncing everything down to audio, this will eat up your ram on playback.

Your specs look ideally suited to working with midi and synths/effects. I can load way more than this on my quad 2.5 ghz

Is your DAW seeing all four cores? Or does it even support multiple cores? If not you'll only be using one?

Back
Top Bottom