Sampling straight out of tunes

Solace

VIP Junglist
Right, I just wanted to hear some of you guys' reactions on this.

Lately, I've been cutting samples straight out of tunes. Like, released tunes from big artists.
Not big phrases ofcourse, more like, a snare, a drum pattern to lowcut/layer, little bass farts,... stuff like that.
Naturally I layer everything, or pitch it, or stretch it or something like that... To not make it too obvious

But, what do you guys (and gals?) think is this?

I think even major artist do it. Otherwise you would not hear the same samples being use by different artist all the time.

I think even major artist do it. Otherwise you would not hear the same samples being use by different artist all the time.

Ah yea that's quite a valid point... That makes me feel a bit less ashamed of stealing skeptical snares

Legal.. But what is the point ? You won't improve your sound design or mixing skills this way..it is kinda lazy imo and btw you lose all the fun :)

Boymerang break, tramen, the ridiculous amount of tunes sampling the various incarnations of the reese bass from the original up to and including cutslo, and beyond. You're just keeping up with tradition :)

who gives a fuck.... everything is a copy of copy of a copy... etc...

and what iv4 says.....

rip the world!

and... who gives about sounddesign? as long as the track is good

and what iv4 says.....

rip the world!

Now now, I did not put it like that, and I love sound design.

and what iv4 says.....

rip the world!

ll

Well if you don't give a fuck about sound design drum&bass isn't the genre for you..dunno try with some folk music ;)

Sample whatever you want but at least ask yourself : how did they do that? And try to emulate those sounds, that is at least if you want to learn something

hold your horses.... rip the world wasn;t referring to your comment iv4

just trying to make a point :P

if you love tweaking away till you get that one sound you were after... by all means... go crazy... or sample it.... in the end it does not matter, it's about the track. right ?

of course, when you design it yourself you get 100 bonus points in the geek factor but your mate that doesn't produce music and just loves to bang his head to a nice track doesn't give a fuck if you sampled it.

hold your horses.... rip the world wasn;t referring to your comment iv4

just trying to make a point :p

if you love tweaking away till you get that one sound you were after... by all means... go crazy... or sample it.... in the end it does not matter, it's about the track. right ?

of course, when you design it yourself you get 100 bonus points in the geek factor but your mate that doesn't produce music and just loves to bang his head to a nice track doesn't give a fuck if you sampled it.

yes dude I agree but nobody gives a fuck about sound design is quite a statement ;)

the point imo is not really about sampling or sound design, I mean there are amazing producer like emperor totally sample based, but only if we are talking about actually sampling and sound manipulation.
If you just throw a few loops in a sequencer and sample noisia's kicks and snares to make your drums you aren't really a producer, are you ?

I still think that sampling sounds from " pro " tunes should be a learning tool to understand how those sounds work, if you are serious about production you want to learn and improve not specifically make a banger :)

Well there's still a difference between using one sample from lets say a noisia tune, and making a whole tune with an unedited sampled bass (from a track or from a sample pack).

And yea, if someone wants to become a decent and respected producer I think they won't rip a whole sample and use it unedited in a track.

I don't really like to sample big music but i use acapellas i come across and sometimes funk breaks have cool sounds i like to keep in the background actually haha. It always felt like such a bad thing to do so i forced myself to do up my own sounds with the help of youtube and tutorials xD

Back
Top Bottom