Sampling songs with drums playing.

GoldenGinge

So, by chance I heard the song Marky & XRS sampled for Butterfly: Roy Ayers Ubiquity- Searching and I thought damn that's nice.

I noticed that during the parts which they sampled (the vocal line butterfly and the melody) that there is kit playing. But this kit isn't noticeable during the song. So I was wondering how they achieved this?

Did they use some sort of HP filter on the song to get rid of the kicks or what?

I would really like to know this as it would definitely expose some potential samples in the future.

They probably got a hold of an acapella version of the track from somewhere, thats my guess but my friend told me he had a program for removing all audio in a track but the vocals. I have no idea how it works and he didn't recall the name, sounds ridiculous, I don't know how its possible to do that but if it works and someone knows the name of the program. Im interested :)

id think a high pass or maybe a alternate version of the song maybe. try sample it and cover it up with your own drums, you can get away with a lot depending on the samples

If you have an instrumental and the track inc the vocal, you can align the transients and use a phase invertion insert to cancel out the instumental leaving the vocal. This has been very hit and miss with me though. The program "Melodyne" has worked for some people to. God knows how it works.

If you have an instrumental and the track inc the vocal, you can align the transients and use a phase invertion insert to cancel out the instumental leaving the vocal. This has been very hit and miss with me though. The program "Melodyne" has worked for some people to. God knows how it works.

/\This.

What happens is by taking the original tune (with vocal) and and the instrumental of the same tune, you can "phase cancel" the instrumentals leaving only the vocal in tact. However, I shouldn't say only the vocal as often times small bits of the instruments can still bleed through–but the vocal still dominates the frequencies. This is probably the best means to rip a vocal track when a true acapella isn't available. Of course the trick is trying to find an instrumental only version of the aforementioned tune.

Not sure how (or if it's even possible) to extract the vocal using Melodyne...but if someone knows a way I'm all ears.

Cheers.

Thanks for the responses guys this forums turning out to be pretty damned awesome!

I'm definitely gonna check out this Melodyne program, haven't heard of it before. I can pretty much rule out using the instrumental and original of track- for me at least.

And yeah It did have pretty soft drums I am now wondering whether they did just cover them up.

Once more thanks guy. See u around

Thanks for the responses guys this forums turning out to be pretty damned awesome!

I'm definitely gonna check out this Melodyne program, haven't heard of it before. I can pretty much rule out using the instrumental and original of track- for me at least.

And yeah It did have pretty soft drums I am now wondering whether they did just cover them up.

Once more thanks guy. See u around

Glad you're diggin' the forum man. Loads of great info here.

As for Melodyne, I'm quite sure that it cannot extract the vocal from a track. Rather, it's useful for adjusting the notes within a vocal (or any loop for that matter). Your best bet is to check the web for a DIY acapella, or try out some creative EQing/noise gating to see what you can come up with.

Cheers!

indeed old boy, but now is when somebody inevitably says the phase cancellation method, you can, according to legend, with the aid of a phase inverted acapella, something something and then out the other end comes the instrumental. one problem with this method is that few, if any, songs release acapellas any more.

indeed old boy, but now is when somebody inevitably says the phase cancellation method, you can, according to legend, with the aid of a phase inverted acapella, something something and then out the other end comes the instrumental. one problem with this method is that few, if any, songs release acapellas any more.

True, how about getting your old girl to sing a cover version?

Back
Top Bottom