sampling...gettin it crisp

Discussion in 'Production' started by lokki, Apr 28, 2005.

1. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

been sampling nuff reggae beats but they are originally taken from vinyl. they sound a bit bad...

whats the best way to clean em up!

(i use fruity by the way)
    also any good bass tips wouldnt go a miss

2. denissm

denissm Member

My guess would be to equalize them a lot. Remove all the freq's that you hear cause them to sound bad.
    And then move up the freq's to make them sound like they would sound if not dirty. EQ a lot and maybe use some compression :)
    Bass is totally another story. I do it this way: I take a simple sine, add different forms of distortion to it and then phase it out to make it sound nice.
    That way I get the synth done. You might also want to add some filter to it, to make it sound differently.
    For the SUB I use a simple sub-sine and just eq' it some to make it strong and so on.
    Also when you're doing you're sub don't forget to play with the amp of it. It does a neat trick.
    Hope that helps, if you have any particular questions, feel free to ask and be more certive :rofl:

3. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

yeah thats cool. i already do that to the bass, nbut it never sounds right, i guess its just practise! dammit!

4. xen

xen ...innit

If you're sampling from vinyl, use something like Adobe Audition and use its "crackle and pop eliminator" plugins - they work absolutely fantastic provided you use them judiciously (don't just select everything and hit ok, do compare before and after results - provided you're willing to wait a few minutes to process the audio and everything (max), you can get fantastic, pop- and click-free results.

5. Serum

Serum Well-Known Member

Some stuff that sounds iffy on its own might actually work when you throw it in with the other elements.

Waves do some good noise and crackle removers but they sometimes don't work amazingly, but sometimes do. It's mostly a case of EQing it so it fits the rest of the track.

6. Affliction

Affliction thought size didnt matter

Waves X-Noise and Waves X-Click are the industry standards but i never found them to be that effective. Funnily enough the best noise reduction i found was on NGWave (a budget wave editor)... good shit :D