Sampling from video game emulators...?

Ragnarok

Three-quarter wit
Hypothetically speaking, and assuming I had copyright clearance, what would be the simplest (and cheapest) way to rip vocal/audio samples from video games? Say, if I wanted to extract a few snippets of an old SNES game using a ZSNES emulator...?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

3/4 jack to 1/4 jack

from your computers headphone output to an input on your mixer/interface. tried that?

Thanks folks. :D

@T:M... Basically it's multiple old SNES games - some obscure, others not - and all I've found online is very, very poor quality wavs.

@Elmaruk... Not tried that, no, but will certainly look into it. Thanks! [total noob here, see, so I had a hunch the right cable would do it, but had no idea what to look/ask for]

---------- Post added at 21:20 ---------- Previous post was at 21:16 ----------

Incidentally, would the 3/4 to 1/4 jack work just as well if I was linking two PCs? That is, one laptop with FL Studio open, and the other running the game...? I'm sure that's a silly question, but...

Incidentally, would the 3/4 to 1/4 jack work just as well if I was linking two PCs? That is, one laptop with FL Studio open, and the other running the game...? I'm sure that's a silly question, but...

Yes that will work.

i have a megadrive emulator on my pc... went through and ripped soooooo much fx! fuck the copyright ;)

in actual answer to the thread... an emulator combined with some audio recording software on your pc desktop is all you need... no need to fanny about with wires or nothing!

i have a megadrive emulator on my pc... went through and ripped soooooo much fx! fuck the copyright ;)

lol OK, I'll give it one from you as well then, shall I? :D

Btw, did you try tinkering around with the cheat options at all? Not sure what you're emulator's like, but ZSNES has an inbuilt Action Replay (of sorts), so on most games it's quite easy to program codes for changing the background music. Quite handy if you want to get clean samples (just create a code to turn off the BGM).

just record it in cool edit or audition like rich said but if you really want to get into it, i seem to recall an app that lets you open the rom and fish out the samples, they are all tracker based (i think) which means the sound files are contained somewhere in the rom

Thanks for the tips, folks. Much appreciated... :D

Unless you're releasing on Universal or something I wouldn't worry too much about copyright on a small sample mate

Indeed^ Truth is, being new here, I wasn't yet sure how freely I could talk about copyright abuse. Been told off about that on other music forums, see, so I was just being cautious.

in actual answer to the thread... an emulator combined with some audio recording software on your pc desktop is all you need... no need to fanny about with wires or nothing!

That's good to know, Richie. Ta.

just record it in cool edit or audition like rich said but if you really want to get into it, i seem to recall an app that lets you open the rom and fish out the samples, they are all tracker based (i think) which means the sound files are contained somewhere in the rom

Niiiiiice!! I do a bit of SNES ROM-hacking on the sly, so that's right up my alley. Hadn't thought to look for such an app... Cheers Logikz!!

Back
Top Bottom