sampling basses for a sampler

AlpineSnow

n.e.p.
How long do you sample a bass sound for in an old sampler? I am trying to make some reece basses with an old sampler but am wondering how long the samples should go for before I loop them and layer them.

Also, are there any other tips/tricks that could help me?

thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks a bunch.

The longer a bass sample is, the higher the probability that you will find good loop points. Furthermore a long sample will be better for playing it in legato/portamento mode.

A to short sample will mostly cause, if played on higher notes, a pop at the loop points, and if you sample it long enough you can avoid these pops on higher notes.

You can get cool effects out of looping it in rhythm with your track. Case in point, reese from Kemal + Rob Data - (Fucking) Hostile (which may or may not be a sample, it doesn't really matter, I'm just after the effect it produces).
Works best if your sample has some filter movement or other form of modulation.

I've done it a couple of times, and then I've placed the loop point so that the root note in the key of the track (let's say F) has loop points that makes the length of the loop line up with a 1/4 or perhaps 3/16 of a bar. When you then play other notes than the root note, you get some nice rhythmic variations.

Tricky, for some reason flp loop function relies on some weird automatic zero crossing identifier so if you really need to control that you cut it in your audio editor , load up a sampler and just turn loop points on, then fix envs. You can do this by nudging the crf slightly but that can mean it misses your loop

The play position starts at the sample beginning and when it reaches the loop-end point, jumps back to the loop-start point and repeats this process while the note is held.

ok... with you so far... And creating loop points is easy as pie with edison...

but... pretty often I read stuff about starting from different looppoints, and I was wondering if that is possible at all within FL studio. :D

well... the process of making loop points in edison isn;t the problem... control +L to the rescue.. ;)

was just wondering about how to make several different starting points..I guess the way in FL is editing the same sample a few times so you have different versions with different loop points.

well, there is the fruity sampler, fruity slicer, slice-x, edison, that thing that does pitch bends (im pretty sure that ones got loop points) and then other vsti samplers, but its far from impossible or even a chore if you think about it a little. did you figure it out or do you still need help

still trying to wrap my head around it :p
2i6pegz.jpg

same sample, just made the audioclip begin at different points in the sample. thus creating different loop points..

right ?

Last edited:
was watching

around 39 min.

so in fl that would be like, dragging bass to edison, placing loop markers and region... dragging to sampler and putting in slide notes like in the vid

Back
Top Bottom