sampling a part where there's already a break

Discussion in 'Production' started by tektroniq, Aug 16, 2012.

1. tektroniq

tektroniq Member

I'd like the vocals and other stuff but I'd like to get rid of the breakbeat without sounding it too high end-ish

what is the best way to do this? I've been Equing the most I could teh beat is still too powerful and it's half tempo while I'm doing a dnb remix out of it.

What do you do when you want to sample something with drums? nothing? aka u dont use it?

OK while typing this, I did this on the EQ I'm using (could also use the Q8 by Waves, will try with that too, might be better)

and now it's pretty damn cool! The breakbeat is really quiet. Still any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

So if I'm understanding you right, you're trying to isolate the break in order to keep the vocal in tact? Your EQ trickery is probably the best route to go. However, another option (depending upon the vocal) is to chop up the sample and extract the parts that contain the vocal and not the excess drum hits.

Cheers.

3. marcelkennard

marcelkennard Storms comin in Annie

I would personally never bother with it, you will never get the quality you probably need... quite negative I know

4. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

/\ This.

5. msmith222

msmith222 redbeard

hate to agree, but: yup. it's never gonna sound good

6. Dom!Reavers!

Dom!Reavers! Member

agreed.

7. ARTFX

ARTFX www.artfx-studios.com

Yeahh I would just look for a different sample. You're never gonna get the same quality as with a non EQ-ed vocal without drums.

8. troublemakers

troublemakers Origins Unknown

You will loose all the harmonics of the vocal as soon as you start cutting... Not worth it as the sound will be so flat and tinny...

9. Freek

Freek Lets get freeeeeeky

there is definately a way of doing it with a phase invert and reversing technique to essentially remove the break.... im not sure of the exact method, but a bit of research into diy accapellas might give you a good idea....

10. Dubsta

Dubsta Well-Known Member

Yeah it can be done but depends on the sample itself and the break its laying on.....i mean it'll be easyier to remove a sample from a section of hats than a full on amen......

My mate who's signed to directors cut has done a "lets go" rmx and got the original samples ripped so clean you'd think they was freshly sampled....but he eq'ed it to hell and back and did say the work it took wasnt worth the effort......he also had a fully equiped studio at hand and proffessional engineers to help.