Samples

Sponge

Alrite guys n gals. i've finaly got cubase sx3 and ive been making choons. They do sound ok (i'll post them up soonish) but they kinda get abit too repetitive and i find myself trying to add samples in random places. Im a total newbie to samples so can anyone give me some advice on were to put them, wht effects (if any) and how make my own (i asume i just record a sound onto cubase and save it?) Cheers, Sponge

Best bet is to record them in soundforge, trim them and remove pops and clicks if you need to and all that stuff, save them as wavs and import them to cubase.

To put them in your track a good thing to do with extra samples is check for the least crowded areas of your tune to slot them in and also try to have a call & response thing, so the sounds are timed to talk with each other, hard to explain but once you understand it, it works really well.

Serum said:
Best bet is to record them in soundforge, trim them and remove pops and clicks if you need to and all that stuff, save them as wavs and import them to cubase.

To put them in your track a good thing to do with extra samples is check for the least crowded areas of your tune to slot them in and also try to have a call & response thing, so the sounds are timed to talk with each other, hard to explain but once you understand it, it works really well.

Serum on the tip AGAIN!!!! You rule!!!!! (that 500hz thing is a tip an a half my man)
Call an response is essential (IMO) for maintaining a continuity and flow in the tune. Adds links across the whole tune.
Depending on what the sample is and how short/long it is but i like to use delays, filters and phases to give them some texture and movement.
Short stabby samples are good with a dubby delay on them and long samples are good filtered up and down (HPF or LPF)

Well..

Your intro does not seem to be written right. Drums come in wrong... Drums seem very flat and repetitive. Try getting a little creative with edits. Bassline is pretty muddy. Needs some midrange sounds/synths imo. Try switching stuff up a little after the break to keep it fresh.

I dunno, just some ideas. For your first, it isnt bad. You seem to know what your going for (jump) and it has the vibe. Keep it up, its constant work.

Back
Top Bottom