Samples

Kothy

What's some good samples with good D&B loops/breaks/seperate kicks/snares/hats and so forth. I've gotten the Danny Byrd Pack Vol 2, some Vengeance Packs, the BoyInABand pack(all like, 20 of them.) and loads more but I can't seem to find any really nice breaks and stuff, the drum hits aren't a issue to me, it's just the breaks and things I'm looking for!

Loopmasters will let you download free samples to see if you like them.

I like the david carbone pack for more natural sounding chilled D+B beats and the rough connections packs for more techy beats (although they not really that techy in them selves they sound good for it after processing), and ofc the vengeance packs are pretty sweet for single hits, although I find they need a lot of work on them to get them sounding drum and bassy (unless you're going for a trancey style of D+B then they are more suited but still need work as I find them to sound dull and over compressed).

I like the david carbone pack for more natural sounding chilled D+B beats and the rough connections packs for more techy beats (although they not really that techy in them selves they sound good for it after processing), and ofc the vengeance packs are pretty sweet for single hits, although I find they need a lot of work on them to get them sounding drum and bassy (unless you're going for a trancey style of D+B then they are more suited but still need work as I find them to sound dull and over compressed).

I agree, proper EQing does the trick!

Usually for my Vengeance kick I'll use an EQ, boost the 60-90 hz area about 1 db, and then I'll boost a bit at 10-12k to bring some essence in them.. then I'll HP filter at 70-90 hz, so it doesn't interfere with my sub, and slight compression, I keep the DBPS at about -12 or -10 on my kick, makes mixdown easier. :p

I think they totally flatten the samples so what ever you're wanting to do you can pull out freqs or cut them as you please. Makes it a lot easier then trying to work with raw drum samples and have to first attenuate the peaks and bring up the troughs before actually getting round to making it fit in the current tune you're working on.

Still I don't like it, I prefer at least a little dynamic character to start with in the sounds I use, but like you say eq isn't a bad start when it comes to flat samples. The flatter and thinner it is in the stereo field (to a certain point) the easyer it is to "make it your own" I guess.

Back
Top Bottom