Samples from dvds?

Fratanize

Keepin the jungle alive
VIP Junglist
Whats the best way to take samples from a dvd? All i can think of is to play the dvd on a media player and record the sample through a mic. Gotta be a better way.... any thoughts?....anyone?...No?....dust?:twitch:

any thoughts?....anyone?...No?....dust?:twitch:
Early morning lol!
Right here we go:
First off you need a dvd player (I find my portable one works easiest as its got a screen built in. Its not fancy at all. Just nice & cheap)
Then you need to purchase one of these cables:
hama_white_3.5mm_2_phono.jpg

Plug the headfone jack into your mic input on the computer and your phonos into the DVD player.
Then you need a recording programme like Soundforge. There are other ways of recording samples but this way i tend to find you get a decent quality sample.

yeah early bird mate. I work nights so my timetable is all messed up. Thats wicked mate thanks. Is audition the same as sound forge? think it is.
Nice one mate.

CAn someone explain the method for doing it on the pc. I have a shed load of classic movies at home and have a bit of an ear for good samples. I think a well placed sample can make a tune. Also, you can watch movies with the excuse of finding material for your tunes.
Dunno bout anyone else. I can be staring at fruityloops for a whole day, prettymuch everyday. Sometimes i watch a film to have a break. Good material in films, especially matrix, predator, any sci-fi, gangster type films.
Some good drum breaks to be sampled from some amy winehouse tunes too. Got my producer ears on.

love amy winehouse man
i jack my player into a small 6 channel mixer i got and run that into an external sound card and away i go
think if you got the dvd in your box and play the movie you should be able to open soundforge or other audio editor and record while the movies play
thats how mine werks
i have a little external fx so i run it through the mixer though

yeah early bird mate. I work nights so my timetable is all messed up. Thats wicked mate thanks. Is audition the same as sound forge? think it is.
Nice one mate.

yeah audition will do it ;)

Some good drum breaks to be sampled from some amy winehouse tunes too. Got my producer ears on.

i got my eye on the intro to "you know that im no good" just trying to get a better copy, i only have it on mp3 atm

Mate, if you have a dvd drive in your computer you do NOT need ANY cables.

Find a free sound recording program on the web.

Once you find it - find the option that chooses recording sources. Choose "what you hear". Press record. Play the bit of the dvd you want to sample. Stop the dvd. Stop the recording. Chop the sound wave so you have only the sample you need.

You can also rip from the dvd files directly but that's too complicated for you for now.

there are TONS of these things. cant remember the name of the one i use atm, but this one looks promising.....

http://www.mymusictools.com/dvd_rippers_18/xilisoft_dvd_audio_ripper_16059.htm

most have somthing like a 5 min max audio time on the free version, but you should be able to choose wich 5 minutes you want. tahts how mine works anyway. i will get you the name when i get home, if this one dont work for ya.
ez.

EDIT:suppose i should read teh whole thread before replying :)

Last edited:
hey Fratanize,

ive got sounforge now, is the cable that i bought to play podcasts through itunes on my hi-fi the same cable as i need do you know ? ... im pretty sure it is. ive got it all setup but it doesnt seem to record anything, i rekon ive got to locate my external device somewhere / somehow, ill send you soundforge 2mo mate if you want, its a v.good program , can freshen up movies samples aswell and make things sound crispier than Hawkings wheels after a fire on 4th floor...

Thanks mate. I got it sorted mate thanks. Bit of torrent piracy and packet of jaffa cakes was all it took.
At the end of the day.....When you cant rip off a dvd just use microsoft paint. The Kiddee.
draw a circle....look i made it light blue!

not read the thread but heres my reply....

download a bit of software called 'dvd audio extractor'

it records the sound from ya dvd and splits it into many formats. the one u want for speech is dolby 5:1. the software will save a wav of each of the channels so all u have to do is locate the centre channel or the one with just the speech on and less background noises.

simple really!

Back
Top Bottom