Sampled breaks question

Dark Lizardro

The Lizard that used to have a hammer
VIP Junglist
Hello everyone!

Is it a valid way to use only sampled breaks? I mean, I got these nice breaks on a free pack, and they sound good by themselves. Of course there will be some chopping and re-arrangement of the hits, but there won't be any drum sounds of my own.

Who are you trying to impress? Producers or listeners. One of these groups won't care as long as the tune is good ;)

Who are you trying to impress? Producers or listeners. One of these groups won't care as long as the tune is good ;)

Yeah, I know that man! :) I was just asking because I normaly work on my own drum sounds, instead of sampling. I was just asking if this is something other producers do on a normal basis.

Hello everyone!

Is it a valid way to use only sampled breaks? I mean, I got these nice breaks on a free pack, and they sound good by themselves. Of course there will be some chopping and re-arrangement of the hits, but there won't be any drum sounds of my own.

You mean funk breaks? They're never royalty free, but who cares! Use them anyhow. :teeth:

Gotta keep that funk alive ; ).

You mean funk breaks? They're never royalty free, but who cares! Use them anyhow. :teeth:

Gotta keep that funk alive ; ).

Yeah, man! I read somewhere that the drummer of the "amen break" never received royalties over his performance, and even think that everyone that's using his drumlines are plagiarizing his work.

Yeah, man! I read somewhere that the drummer of the "amen break" never received royalties over his performance, and even think that everyone that's using his drumlines are plagiarizing his work.

It's fine honestly, funk breaks are a part of Drum & Bass music, one of it's core elements that make it what it is tbh. (They don't call it neurofunk and liquid funk for nothing : ). )
I usually use backbeats together with funk breaks at the end of some bars as a layer.

Using raw breaks should be alright, it depends on your standards of sampling. I for one would never use a straight break without processing its tits off, and even then i use changups, fills and other layers on top of it.

I have gone 180 from thinking I need to make every drum kit myself from scratch and sampling was cheating to being almost 100% sampling. I'm much happier doing the latter. I get a lot of enjoyment going deep into sampling and researching where the breaks are from, their context, how and when they were recorded. This adds a certain intention behind using a sample which is now a heavy influence on the style I want to develop. If I was using samples willy-nilly, I wouldn't respect what I'm doing, but those are boundaries I created for myself and certainly not the boundaries I started out with. They developed naturally over time.

In other words, you can make sampling just as involved and meaningful as developing your own sounds.

there are some breaks that everybody samples without even thinking about the copyright. Think about the amen break or badsister. Also if someone puts up a free sample pack it's mostly roaylty free.

If you just use breaks and it sounds good, that's fine. If I use breaks, i usually just use them for layering, i think kick & snares in usual break samples (especially jungle breaks) lack of punch and tightness, but it depends what you are looking for :)

Back
Top Bottom