Sample selection, Templates & House Keeping

Eternaloptimist

VIP Junglist
ez all
wanted to ask if anyone uses a limited number of snares,kicks, perc etc? i have spoken to a number of producers and they all seem to say they have a limited number of samples that they use. i have loads of libraries and im thinking of cutting down. i sometimes spend hours looking for the perfect kick.
do any of you have "go to kick/snare etc"?

Templates- do any of you use them?

House keeping - how do you guys sort your projects out? eg do you mix into a limiter and master compressor or that comes in at the end?

I make something called 128's (I'll explain it for Ableton since it's how I do it)

Basically, take Ableton's native Sampler plug-in, open up the Zone tab, and drop 128 kick samples into the sampler.

Next, in the upper-right of the Zone tab, click on the Sel tab to open the chain selector. Then highlight all 128 of the samples and right-click and press "Distribute Ranges Equally" This will divide each sample selection into it's own MIDI CC value.

So, the next step is to group the sampler to an Ableton rack open up the macro knobs and activate Map Mode. Route the Chain selector value in the Zone tab to one of the available macros.

Now, you can rotate the macro knob and quickly cycle through your best 128 kicks without having to spend hours dragging and dropping or scrambling through all your samples to do so. With Ableton I actually have a Drum Rack set up so each pad has this type of sampler setup for my kicks, snares, hats, and cymbals. Took forever to setup but, imo, worth it in the long run.

Pro-tip: Make a duplicate of each sampler so you can layer your samples and get your own sound quickly too ;)

cheers Dugg, I already know of that Gates thing. I also like to macro the release and attack macros too. but that too is time consuming. what i meant to ask is if people spend ages tweaking kicks and snares and then make their own library?

I do make my own folder of sounds but it's mostly basses and weird sounds and drum loops. For kicks and snares I wouldn't worry too much about trying to find absolutely perfect samples to start with, find something that gives part of what you wanted and layer it with something else to fill in the gaps. When someone is listening to your track with all the other stuff going on at the same time, all those hours you spent trying to find that perfect sound are going to go totally over their head. People just don't care.

In FL you can name your mixer inserts with F2 and hitting F2 again while naming it gives it a random colour. I also just found out that you can move your inserts around with ALT+Left/Right which is handy to keep everything together. That and doing the same with tracks in the playlist is about the only organising I do.

Back
Top Bottom