1) do you /really/ need Vista?
I have yet to see a program that is Vista-Only. There are some games that claim to provide DirectX10 gfx the "are better then DirectX9" but in practice running in DirectX9 produces the same gfx
2) Vista really needs >=2Gig of RAM. Yes basic and home-prem all say 512Meg,1Gig but DAMB! is it slow and annoying
Lasses lappy is Vista home prem with 2gig of RAM and it is dog slow at doing anything (I ended up installing Ubuntu-Linux on it since she prefers linux and well... she can actually use her machine... browsing hte home network is the worst)
3) If you /really/ really have to get vista, or just want it DO NOT GET HOME BASIC
it has some really stupid lockdown that means you can only run 5applications at ones
Yes virus scanner is counted as one
Yes firewall is counted as another
Yes mediaplayer/Winamp... is counted as another
MSN is counted as another
5 user apps is PAINFULLY low
DO NOT GET VISTA ULTIMATE!!!!!
MS touted it as a ZOMG all the vest of Vista home and Vista Business plus we will regually provide you with "free" bonus stuff over Vista's life
Since Vista's launch they have beta released ONE thing for ultimate!
Also go install Ubuntu-Linux on yr boxen you may like it
As an attritionOS suppose it aint too bad, its just I have a couple of beef's with Vista that make me go WTF
1) in all honesty Vista isn't that groundbreaking from XP. Sure it has a nice shinyshiny interface but meh (and a load of stuff under the hood, which in all honesty should of been in windows from the fucking start!!! having to pay for a secureOS is a joke! they should of just patched their fuckups),
95->98 was a decent improvement
98->ME was ... a MAJOR FUCKING INCONVIENIENCE
ME->XP was a fantastic jump
XP->Vista... if you get downto it it doesn't do that much more that warrants you going out and buying the OS if XP does everything for you
(I left out 2000 since 2000 was actually meant for business use only but ppl used it for home since ME was a steaming pile of shite. 2000 -> XP is very similar to XP -> Vista right now, it pretty much only brought a shinyshiny interface)
2) It is a complete and utter resource hog!!!! I'm sorry but if an OS cannot work in 512meg of RAM something is wrong! give Vista enough RAM and let its memory manager work it starts getting ok, but the quecient operating requirements are a joke!
Then you get the 3D desktop effects which won't run on a system with a gfx card below a certain spec PLUS you need a minium CPU and RAM
I have had better effects on my linux setup years before Vista came out using ALOT less resources...
My RAM/CPU/Diskspace is for my usage NOT so something that is pretending to be an OS can use it