Rule of Thumb

Discussion in 'Production' started by Jolly Jumpa, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Jolly Jumpa

Jolly Jumpa Dj Synergex

Now I don't know if there's an unspoken rule, or whatever, but what frequency should the drums be high passed at?
    I mean I've tried 10,000 (too low) ,12,000, 14,000 (too high) and 16,000KHz and none them sound anything like what the pro's use. Do they even use HPF's or just eq's?
    It's something I've been trying for a couple of months, but everything I've tried doesn't come out like what I want. They've all been way too high (ear piercers) or too low to even be phat.
    Should it depedn on the song? Or is it just a rule of thumb to always have _______ KHZ as your cut off frequency???
    Thanks in advance.
    Steve

2. luciduk

luciduk Active Member

firstly are you talking about high passing a break in the background?

what effect are you planning to achieve by high passing the drums?? HiPass or EQ only really needs to be applied if you are trying to remove certain frequencies from a sound surely?
    So you are trying to remove the low frequencies from you drums but you are losing parts you need, have you tried using another break for the lower/mid drum sections or using single hits

and no, in my opinion there is no rule of thumb for anything

3. Jolly Jumpa

Jolly Jumpa Dj Synergex

Well I'm sure you've heard those songs that kill your ears due to large amounts of high frequencies. WOuld the best way of resucing this a high passed filter or many-a-eq? For example, your first song in your sig, it has a real nice level of high frequencies, maybe a little high but real nice, did you use a HPF or eq's only?
    I find the hi hats to be some of the worse hgher frequency killa's. I know I'm being a little vague, but I don't really know how to explain it.

4. ARTFX

ARTFX www.artfx-studios.com

I don't have clue what you are talking about. :D

5. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Dude, first off, you need to answer the question Lucid asked you before any of us can help you. Do you mean a break?

6. Jolly Jumpa

Jolly Jumpa Dj Synergex

Uh, yeah. That's why I mentioned hi hats.

7. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

uhh.....hats dont automatically mean a break, hats are hats, a break is a loop of kicks, snares, hats and other percussions.

I think you should try and focus on the basics before trying to understand how to EQ stuff mate.....sorry

8. msmith222

msmith222 redbeard

just to add some confusion to this fire, i usually modulate the frequency cutoff of my high/low pass filters to get some movement in the drums.

9. Jolly Jumpa

Jolly Jumpa Dj Synergex

Ok, this is what my question entailed. I use record 1.5 and use the software Kong within it - a software that's purpose is usually producing beats - before I used redrum, which also is used for producing beats. I use one shots most of the time so I do not seperate the one shots but combine them when using kong to make the breaks I use within my song. I tend to have a problem with Higher Frequencies and I don't understand why. I have tried using high pass filters to lower the certain freq's but that doesn't work like what I hear some artist's doing like break or total science, but i've also tried using eq's to get a phat sounding break but it never works. How do I go about making a beat like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kfNs4GgL38 when every time I try it comes out like: http://www.looperman.com/loops_detail.php?lid=17102

10. luciduk

luciduk Active Member

i dont hear anything wrong with your high end frequencies, the youtube upload has a highly reduced quality, which effects the high end more than anything and makes it sound dull, im sure if you listen to a wav of mason it has crisp high hats like in your break..

your hi hats sound fine also, it seems to me your kick and snare are lacking and also that is very slow for dnb

---------- Post added at 20:21 ---------- Previous post was at 20:19 ----------

actually yeah, your hi hats are a little too high passed, maybe bring the cutoff freq down a bit

11. Jolly Jumpa

Jolly Jumpa Dj Synergex

Ok, http://www.looperman.com/loops_detail.php?lid=17102 this is not my break first off, but thanks anyways. Secondly, I don't suppose using earphones compared to speakers/monitors are much help? Because everytime I try to listen to something of mine via earphones they're either killing my ears or they're too dull, I can never get a middle ground.

12. luciduk

luciduk Active Member

yeah earphones arent great for monitoring really, everything speaker/headphone is different, but studio monitors are the only real way to get a flat freq response

13. Jolly Jumpa

Jolly Jumpa Dj Synergex

Any suggestions? All I have are four 4ft speakers (JBL and Technics) one with two 10 inch subs, one 3 inch tweeker and the other with a 12 inch sub and one 3inch tweeker and one 4inch tweeker.

14. RevTech

RevTech Butthole=output transduce

Tannoy makes some great cheap monitors that sound high end man

15. msmith222

msmith222 redbeard

not sure if you have a monitor budget, but i am loving my new krk rokit 8s. very impressed for the $$$

16. RevTech

RevTech Butthole=output transduce

Oh and there is no rule of thumb btw, what ever sounds good and doesn't clash with your other sounds works.

17. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

If you are trying to cut off the higher frequencies you'll be low passing not high passing.
    A low pass filter lets through everything under the cutoff and attenuates everything above it by a certain ratio depending on the type of filter (3 db, 6 db 24 db, whatever, the higher the db value the steeper the cutoff)
    I get what you're saying about the piercing high end, I also hate it, still undecided whether it's my old ears or what. Low passing isn't the answer, it takes off all the 'airy' frequencies up in the range you mentioned to target the piercing freq's which are probably much lower.

Better to try and locate what's causing the problem and use an eq to remove the specific frequencies.

18. druu

druu Member

For piercing high end, simply have the eq low passed at around 17k with a 12 or 24db rolloff on suspected channels.

19. Jolly Jumpa

Jolly Jumpa Dj Synergex

Yesss, that's what I've been wanting to know!
    Lol, I totally forgot it was a low pass not a high pass, uh-dur.
    So low passing at 12k isn't the best idea... and probably why everything sounds so flat :S
    Ahh the mistakes I make...
    Thansk guys